The Pokes and the Sooners remain undefeated heading into conference play

Jaden Scamehorn, Staff Writer

Both the Oklahoma Sooners and the Oklahoma State Cowboys are undefeated through non-conference play as they head into the Big 12 conference play this weekend.

The Sooners had their fair share of close games, starting the season with a close win against Tulane University. The game was originally scheduled to be played at Tulane in New Orleans, but due to Hurricane Ida the game was played in Norman. 

The game was closer than expected with a great game from Tulane quarterback Michael Pratt who completed 27 passes for 296 yards and three touchdowns. 

The revamped and young Oklahoma defense struggled against the Green Wave who put up 35 points. While the Oklahoma offense led by sophomore quarterback Spencer Rattler outscored them 40-35.

Week two was a blowout in Norman with an easy 76-0 win against Western Carolina University. Rattler threw five touchdowns in just the first half. The Sooners defense also looked stout, only allowing a total of 178 total yards of offense. 

Nebraska gave Oklahoma a great game for their last non-conference game. They traveled down to Norman for a historical meeting between the two blue blood schools. The rivalry game was close, but Oklahoma ultimately held off the Huskers and won 23-16.

The Oklahoma State Cowboys have had close games as well, as they barely avoided an upset week one against Missouri State. Starting quarterback Spencer Sanders was ruled out of the game due to COVID-19 protocols.

Sophomore Shane Illingworth was the starter, who completed 22 passes for 315 yards and one touchdown. The defense was the saving grace, as they held Missouri State late in the fourth quarter, which led to a 23-16 Cowboy win.

Week two for the Pokes was the annual Turnpike classic, when they hosted The University of Tulsa. Sanders was cleared to play, but the game was closer than expected.

The Tulsa offense played really well, and Oklahoma State’s defense struggled. However the Pokes were able to pull away with the win in the fourth quarter. Freshman wide receiver Jaden Bray from Norman High School had a great game catching four passes for 84 yards and a score. 

Oklahoma State traveled down to Boise State for the last non conference game of the season, giving the Cowboys a real test. 

They struggled in the passing game. Sanders only passed for a total of 82 yards and no scores. It was the ground game that won it for the pokes. Senior transfer running back Jalen Warren had a night, running for 218 yards and two touchdowns. 

The game was very close, but a late defensive stop for the Cowboys helped them survive and win the game 21-20.

As conference play begins for the Big 12, number four Oklahoma hosts a sneaky West Virginia, the game is slated for a primetime kickoff at 6:30 pm on ABC. 

Kansas State travels to Stillwater this week as a ranked team, finishing at 25 in the AP poll. This will be a huge test for the Cowboys. Expect a close game in Stillwater. This game kicks off at 6:00 and can be watched on ESPN+ or the BIG 12 app.

Contact Jaden Scamehorn at [email protected]