Santa Fe Super Wolves bowl to victory

Santa Fe Super Wolves bowl to victory

Amaya Stevenson, Santa Fe Staff Writer

On Friday, Oct. 28 the Santa Fe Super Wolves (students at Santa Fe with mental or physical disabilities) athletes competed at the Special Olympics bowling event at AMF Boulevard Lanes . All of the athletes who competed took home either a first, second or third place ribbon in their respective division.

The Super Wolves competed against athletes from Edmond North,  Edmond Memorial and other schools around Oklahoma.

“I thought it was cool that they got to bowl on lanes with people from other schools, they were really able to get into the spirit of competing,” junior Pack Pal volunteer, Mary Caporale, said.

The Super Wolves experienced how it feels to be a Santa Fe athlete by riding to the bowling alley in an activity bus and being cheered on by Santa Fe cheerleaders.

The Special Olympics are a way that students with disabilities can participate in sports that they would not have a chance to participate in at school. Athletes compete in sports like bowling, basketball, bocci ball (game played with two teams where you four large balls at a smaller ball) and track and field.

“Because high school sports are so competitive, our students don’t have an opportunity to have a level playing field with other athletes who don’t have disabilities,” Special Wolves teacher, Teri Martin, said. “These activities give them an opportunity to compete and be successful in their given sport.”

The next Special Olympics competition is the Winter Games on Jan. 12-14 in Norman where the Santa Fe athletes will be competing in bowling and basketball.

You can reach this reporter at [email protected]