Santa Fe Teacher of the Year – Randy Blackwood

Randy Blackwood is Santa Fe's 2016 Teacher of the Year.

Corrie Warmoth

Corrie Warmoth

Corrie Warmoth

Corrie Warmoth, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Educators are known for leading the new generation to become young effective leaders in society. Teachers have been appreciated through many different ways; this may be words of gratitude, gifts and even cards. One way Santa Fe rewards our teachers is by giving out the prestigious teacher of the year award.

Randy Blackwood won the title of teacher of the year for 2016 and to celebrate this title, members of the Santa Fe band played the fight song for him before second hour, while the principal Jason Hayes presented him with cookies and balloons to congratulate him.

“We have so many great teachers here at Santa Fe, but to be selected and honored by the rest of my peers is somewhat humbling,” Blackwood said. “I’m proud of the honor.”

Blackwood has been teaching at Santa Fe for 14 years. He currently teaches AP Statistics, Robotics, Algebra II and AP Physics C.

He attended Kansas State University and received a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. From there he went to Purdue University to receive his masters in mechanical engineering. His experience in mechanical engineering also helped him obtain the opportunity to teach Robotics.

“[Blackwood] Is a really great teacher; he involves every student in class and makes the overall concept easier,” junior Joezie Cook said.

Those who receive teacher of the year receive a front row parking spot and a plaque awarding the teacher for the title. Also during basketball season, the different departments of the school come together and create goodie baskets for the teacher awarded with the teacher of the year.

“[Blackwood] is so committed to our students being successful and having great futures,” Hayes said. “He has an impact on most of our students, especially our high achieving students in the course of the year.”

Teacher of the year is presented in order to show teachers that what they do is valued by both the student body and staff. It reveals that the hard work that teachers pour themselves into for their students is noticed and appreciated.

You can reach this reporter at [email protected]