Husky lacrosse shooting for another state title

Sidney Norman, North Staff Writer

As the 2017 Husky lacrosse season begins, the boys are attempting to have another successful year. Following their fourth state championship win last season, the team has higher expectations for this year. They are working diligently to see themselves at State again on May 6-7.

At North, Lacrosse is not an official OSSAA sport, but is considered a club instead. This means a lack of funding and popularity affect the growth of the club. Other schools that participate in the same Heartland Conference as North include Deer Creek, Capital City, Union, Bishop Kelly and Jenks.

“Lacrosse is the fastest-growing sport in the country for a reason, but as a club sport its growth is stunted because of perception of it being cost-prohibitive,” coach Dave Heaton said. “As a club we make sure everyone has the chance to play. If the sport were sanctioned, we would see exponential growth, and schools all over the state would pick it up.”

The addition of juniors Jake Hinkley, Jace Rosser and Hunter Richard has helped make the team stronger. Several freshmen were also added to the team this season, which created more diversity than in years past.

“We are up 25% in participation,” Heaton said. “We are getting athletes from other sports coming out to play, which will make us stronger, deeper and will help make those kids better athletes.”

The team started practice on Jan. 9 and practices at D-BAT Sportsplex every week day from 4:30-6:00pm. Leadership has been a major priority of the team since the start of the program, and returning captains junior Mike Bannon and senior Tyler Charles have continued to serve as leaders on the team.

“Our main focus during practices has been to go 100%, to get as many touches with the ball and to improve as a team and individuals,” Charles said.

The Huskies’ first lacrosse game is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 28 against Tulsa Union at Union. With State only a month away, the Huskies will continue to work towards their goals.