Santa Fe students conquer All-State

Twelve+members+of+the+Santa+Fe+band+made+the+2017+All-State+Honor+Band.++

Santa Fe students conquer All-State

Twelve members of the Santa Fe band made the 2017 All-State Honor Band.

Corrie Warmoth, Santa Fe Staff Writer

All-State band is an honor that celebrates Oklahoma high school musicians for their musical accomplishments and progress. Twelve of Santa Fe’s musicians have had the opportunity to participate in this distinct band. The 2017 band began rehearsal on Jan. 18 and the concert was preformed on Jan. 21 at the Tulsa Preforming Art Center.

“All-State reveals a high level of achievement and it shows that the students in the Santa Fe band are setting their goals really high and are working hard to achieve them,” Santa Fe band director Sarah Neely said.

These students were given the opportunity to experience different conductors, meet different band students from all over Oklahoma, and they were given harder and more complicated music to tackle.

“After putting in hours of work and frustration, realizing it all paid off, was one of the best moments of my life,” junior bass clarinet player Christian Caputo said.

Caputo has participated in All-State for the past 2 years. For 2017, Caputo made second chair symphonic band, which is the second band that consists of wind instruments and percussion.

All-State has given young musicians a chance to display their talents as well as meet others who share a similar passion towards music with different backgrounds and experiences.

“[All-State] is so fun because I have the opportunity to play with such talented people all day and enjoy time with my friends at the same time,” senior oboist Sami Jiwa said.

The 2017 All-State band has been the first year Jiwa has had the opportunity to make All-State. For her first year she received second chair in the Orchestra, which consists of both wind and string instruments.

“I have been so fortunate to experience All- State for the past three years,” senior flutist Cassidy Towe said. “The auditions, the people, and the three day workshop have bettered me as a musician and a friend.”

The students who made All-State had to endure two rounds of All-State with different musical pieces. These auditions helped determine the band a student would be assigned to and what chair they would receive for their instruments.

All-State honor band celebrates talents of musicians from all over Oklahoma and gives them a learning opportunity they that they will carry with them for the rest of their life. It allows them to experience a feel for the profession of musicians and congratulates them on the effort they place on mastering their instruments.

You can contact this reporter at [email protected]