Alli Evans: an inspiration to all

Hannah Prentice

More stories from Hannah Prentice

Alli Evans: an inspiration to all

Alli Evans is the 2017 Volleyball State Champion, Gatorade State Player of the Year, and Miss EMHS.

Cole Northenor

Cole Northenor

For most people, high school is a time to learn more about themselves and try new things, but for Alli Evans, high school has been about becoming a stellar volleyball player. Throughout her senior year, Alli has achieved a number of accomplishments making her senior year one to remember.

This year, Evans was nominated for and won Miss EMHS, was chosen as Oklahoma’s Gatorade Player of the Year, and with the help of her team won state in volleyball.

“With all the people and relationships I have developed over the years at Memorial by my side, my senior year has been better than I could have ever imagined,” Evans said.

Evans has been playing volleyball since she was 11. She tried multiple sports, but always knew volleyball was meant for her.

“I played a variety of sports growing up, in fact I pretty much tried them all, but out of all the sports I tried, volleyball just fit me the best,” Evans said.

Evans recently learned she was chosen as Oklahoma’s Gatorade Player of the Year. It is given to one high school athlete per sport and gender from each state. Each athlete chosen is given $1,000 to donate to a charity that works with youth athletics. The athletes can also choose to write an essay and the winner of the essay contest will receive another $10,000 to donate to their charity of choice.

“It is a really big honor to be Gatorade Player of the Year because all of the players nominated are outstanding athletes,” Evans said. “To be chosen as the athlete representing our state is unbelievable and amazing.”

One person who is just as excited for Evans is her father, Jon Evans.

“I am very humbled by all of the success Alli has experienced as a high school athlete,” Jon said. “Especially because she has very high standards for herself and everything that she does.”

Along with her father, Evans’ school volleyball coach, Natalie Murray is also proud of her accomplishments this year.

“Watching Alli mature as both an athlete and a person over the last four years has been such a great honor,” Murray said. “Alli is a hard-working, hilarious, compassionate, and giving young woman.”

After graduating in May, Evans plans to attend the University of Tulsa and play volleyball. Her goal is to graduate college and go to school to become a physician’s assistant, and use her PA degree to work in medical missionary work. Evans says her greatest inspirations in her life are her parents.

“They are both really supportive and caring in everything that I do,” Evans said. “They set a good example for me in my education, my walk with Christ, and my athletic endeavors.”

Evans’ senior year has been nothing less than extraordinary, and she hopes to pass on her wisdom to others.

“My advice for others would be to live in the moment and enjoy everything because it all goes by so fast,” Evans said. “Work hard for your goals, it is absolutely possible to achieve them.”

Contact Hannah Prentice at [email protected]