Lady Wolves look to stay unbeaten

Lady Wolves look to stay unbeaten

Senior guard Jo'Nah Johnson (23) works her way into the Edmond North defense.

Holli Benton

Holli Benton

Holli Benton

Mikayla Barstow, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Those who have attended the Edmond Santa Fe girls basketball games this year have been witness to consecutive wins; the Lady Wolves are currently undefeated.

Up until last year, the girls basketball team had a 57 game winning streak. Girls basketball coach and SOAR teacher Paul Bass has been working at Santa Fe for 21 years and coaching for all 21 years. This season, the team has won all 18 games and is ranked number one in class 6A; but going undefeated is only a bonus to Bass.

“We don’t worry about going undefeated. The team just worries about the next game and focus on how to win that game,” Bass said.

Bass’ key to winning is to make sure that the girls connect with each other and have the same mindset during the games.

“Anyone can have a good team, but if they don’t work well together then they may start losing,” Bass said. “This team loves to play and win, so they work hard together to ensure that they do so.”

For senior Jonah Johnson, her last season playing for Santa Fe couldn’t be spent better, but knows that it will be difficult to leave the team. Johnson has been playing on the basketball team since her freshmen year. To her, being undefeated on the basketball team during her senior year is something special to celebrate.  

“It’s a great feeling going undefeated, but we still have to work towards the end of the season and try to finish undefeated there,” Johnson said. “I know that this team will work hard and we’ll encourage each other everyday. We’re all sisters.”

There are only five regular season games left in the season before the postseason tournament arrives and the team plans on working hard during every game like it is their last. Lady Wolves will be playing today, Feb. 7 at Westmoore High School at 6 pm.

The final games of the season is:

Feb. 10 at Edmond North High School

Feb. 13 Home vs. Deer Creek High School

Feb. 14 Home vs. Mustang High School

Feb. 15 Home vs. Westmoore High School

Feb. 23 and 25 Class 6A Regional Tournament (Santa Fe hosts)

March 2 and 4 Class 6A Area Tournament (Site TBA)

March 9-11  Class 6A State Tournament (at Oral Roberts University, Tulsa)

You can contact this reporter at [email protected]