Protect trans students

The Trump administration recently overturned federal protections for transgender students, which allowed them to use the bathroom matching their gender identity. These federal protections were passed last May during the Obama administration through a Dear Colleague Letter on Transgender Students  in accordance to Title IX, a federal law that bans sex discrimination in schools.

In response to this withdrawal, the Trump administration sent their own “Dear Colleague Letter”  to public schools, stating that these bathroom laws lacked extensive legal analysis of how Title IX was in compliance with transgender laws. The Trump administration also believes that these laws should be decided on a state level and that the federal government should not be involved.

What intrigues me is how an administration can find the equality of students in this case, ‘lacking legal analysis.’  The Dear Colleague Letter on Transgender Students directly states that “…a school must not treat a transgender student differently from the way it treats other students of the same gender identity,” which goes hand-in-hand with Title IX Discrimination against transgender people as a form of sex discrimination.  The disengagement of these basic rights are a threat to the LGBTQ+ community.

This is a prime example of why students should do their research on political, economic, and social issues in their country, so they can elect the right person to represent and protect their rights as American citizens when the time comes to vote.  We as Americans have a responsibility to protect the rights of others.                           

Schools should be a safe space for all students. Trans students should not have to avoid using school bathrooms for fear of being persecuted, trans students should not have to feel ashamed, and most importantly, trans students should not have their rights taken away.

Tweet your opinions on this matter @ENHSRuffdraft

To take our poll on this issue, click here.