Shooting for State

As the 2017 Husky golf season begins, North is attempting to have another successful year. Following their hard work last season that led to the boys winning their 14th state championship, the Huskies are working diligently to see themselves at State again this spring. The girls are also working hard to win a State title after finishing eighth at State last season.

“Last year we had a lot of new players on varsity, and I think this year we are all more comfortable and focused,” sophomore Grace Griggs said. “We are really focused on our short game right now and hope to win state, as well as academic state this season.”

The boys play at Oak Tree and the girls practice at the Golf Club of Edmond after school Monday through Thursday. Practices usually range from 3-4:30, and sometimes longer. A typical practice for the girls consists of playing nine holes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mondays and Wednesdays they work on their shot.

“One challenge our team faces is remaining positive in tough situations when we are playing bad or not as well as we want to,” sophomore Claire Ledbetter said.

Since last season, the team has continued to grow together and form close friendships. Many seniors graduated after the end of last season and the addition of several freshmen helped the team become more diverse. Ledbetter and Griggs both pointed out one player in particular who has managed to fill those big shoes and stand out as a leader this season: sophomore Natalie Igo.

“Natalie stands out as a leader because she makes everyone feel welcome and is a great friend,” Griggs said.

On Monday, March 20, the girls will travel to Southmoore to play in their next tournament. Both teams’ biggest competition will be Owasso this season, who placed first in the Girls’ division at the State tournament last May and second in the boys’ division. The girls’ State tournament is scheduled for May 3-4 and the boys are set to play May 8-9.