Edmond North basketball scores a state victory

Lauren Wong, North Staff Writer

On March 11, 2017 Husky basketball scored a State Championship title for the first time in history.

“My favorite moment was receiving the Gold Ball,” Coach Terry Evans said.  “It showed how hard the team worked this year.”

The state tournament began on March 9, the Huskies starting with a game against Broken Arrow.  North dominated with an eight-point lead and went on to play Putnam City North on March 10  at 9 p.m..  Husky basketball went on to the Finals against B. T. Washington on March 11 at 7:45 p.m..

In the last few minutes of the playoffs game, Evans pulled the starting lineup and let the other teammates have a chance to participate in the soon-to-be history-making game.  The Huskies finished with a 25-point lead on B.T. Washington.  Teammates, coaches, students and family members cheered as the Huskies won the 2017 6A Basketball State Championship title for the first time.  

“This win meant a lot to the guys that have been here all 4 years,” senior Will Boyd said.  “We went from having a losing record to winning a state championship, the first ever too.”

The Husky basketball team was ecstatic, jumping up and down and cheering as they were awarded the 2017 State Championship trophy.  Losing the state semi finals in 2016, the Huskies strived to come back even stronger. In years past, the Huskies fell short of a state victory with their loss in the semi finals in 2016, but came back even stronger this year.

“Last year’s game has been in the back of our minds this season, and it motivated us to push harder for the trophy,” Boyd said.

The Huskies now hold a strong reputation of what hard work and determination can do to lead a team to success. The Gold Ball trophy and net are currently on display in North’s main office and will remain there for an appropriate amount of time before being retired to the trophy case.  For more information on statistics from the 6A Boys Basketball State Tournament click here.