The benefits of concurrent enrollment over Advanced Placement classes

Corrie Warmoth

Valerie Roberson's second hour Advanced Placement Language class taking a test.

Corrie Warmoth, Santa Fe Staff Writer

As the juniors trudge closer to their senior year they face the decision on whether to take Advanced Placement classes (AP classes) or take courses at a college (concurrent enrollment) ,which requires the student to travel to University of Central Oklahoma. Many, though, ask why does taking either of these classes matter?

Both help the student receive college credit before high school graduation, but one is much more beneficial than the other. In my opinion, concurrent enrollment (concurrent) is the better choice when it comes to college credit due to many of its benefits: such as the higher passing, less time spent on the course and more time to work on homework and other subjects.

A reason it is beneficial is because the student only needs to receive a C in order to obtain college credit. In an AP course, students have to take a specialized test and have to pass with a 3 in order to receive any credit and in some cases 4’s or 5’s are passing. These tests are usually long and challenging leaving the students emotionally exhausted. Additionally, the test only shows the progress of the students during that small period of time during the test but concurrent shows the progress throughout the semester. Being able to pass with a C is less stressful and burdening to the student.

Another reason concurrent is beneficial is because it condenses a year long AP Course into a semester, making it easier to recall what was given earlier on in the class. All the information that is presented in a high school AP class is spread out over the year making it harder to remember things learned at the beginning of the course.

An advantage that entices more students into enrolling into classes at UCO is that the classes do not meet every day of the week. Some are only held on Tuesday and Thursdays while others may be held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Not having class every day spreads the workload out throughout the week and gives students more time to complete their work and focus on other classes as well. This helps reduce the stress of students, whereas AP classes can be more stressful because they have class everyday.

One complaint many students have over the concurrent is the cost of the college fee. The high school pays for the class itself but the student is required to buy the required books and a parking space at the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO).  To help reduce these costs, one can rent or buy used books at Half Price Books or Amazon instead of buying a more expensive new book.

Concurrent classes provide the better steps for success and are easier to receive college credit than AP courses. The condensed curriculum, higher chance of college credit and less work provides a higher success rate for students wanting to reduce their time in college.