Wolves Soccer: going further than they have before

While on their trip to a showcase in Springdale, AR, the boys varsity team participated in various bonding activities; including swimming and an Escape Room.

photo provided

photo provided

photo provided

Julia Reese, Editor-In-Chief

Eleven players on the field per team, nine district games, a win-loss record 11-5 and three games away from a state championship. In the 2016-2017 soccer season, the boy’s varsity team did better than they have in the last half-decade; this season has been a success in multiple areas.

Senior forward, Dante Brigida, tied a previous state record for number of goals scored; his total, and the previous record, was 26 goals. As a forward, Brigida’s main objective in the game is to score or assist his teammates in scoring.

“This year, we worked harder as a team and put in the work to do well,” Brigida said. “The coaches are all great, [head soccer coach Joe] Peeler has always been there for all of us. Also, [the team is] really close and we’re friends off the field.”

Brigida, along with senior midfielder, Kelvin Chandler, are signed to play college soccer at Oral Roberts University

and Oklahoma Baptist University respectively. Freshman defensive midfielder Johnny Gonzalez is also being scouted; despite his young age, many college coaches are already contacting Peeler about his skill.

Along with the talent on the team, the cooperation and coaching have aided in leading the Wolves to their postseason games, playoff games.

This season, and its successes, will be a new precedent for the coming years. Prior to this year, Santa Fe soccer had not yet made it past the first round of the playoffs, however, this year’s team showed more determination and cooperation than years prior.

“Our regular season was about the same as previous years, but the talent and desire to push forward in the playoffs really set this year apart,” Peeler said. “This team is very close. They all cared for each other, it didn’t matter what grade they were in. It’s just like a family, they may have arguments, but when they get on the field they all come together and work as a team.”

One of the more exciting aspects of this season was winning their first playoff game (2-0) against Norman High School. Sophomore right midfielder, Edgar Rivas, scored the final goal of the night, igniting excitement through the crowd and team members.

Though the team did not win their quarterfinals game against Mustang High School (1-2), they undoubtedly put up a fight. The game went into triple overtime, finally resulting to penalty kicks (PKs) in the third overtime to determine a winner. The nail-biting PKs kept the crowd on their feet and the ultimate loss was devastating for the players and fans alike.

Despite the loss, however, the Wolves performed remarkably this year and raised the level of expectations that will be placed on next year’s varsity team.

Julia Reese may be contacted at [email protected]