Meet Brack Wilbur

Brack+Wilbur

Emily Singleton

Brack Wilbur

Colt Beat, Memorial Staff Writer

Brack Wilbur is one of the many teachers that has joined the teaching roster for Memorial. Before his current job as a Special Education history teacher, he worked as a full-time teacher’s assistant at Memorial.

Education has always been a big component of his life and he has always had a special place in his heart for education.

“I am from a family of educators, my mom was a teacher for a long time and she taught English, art, and was a principal and now works for the University of Oklahoma,” Wilbur said.

Wilbur received a football scholarship to play Division II football in Arkansas and finished his undergrad at the University of Central Oklahoma with a broadcast communications degree and also attended law school at Oklahoma City University.

“I use the law degree more for teaching history more than anything, but the communications degree comes in pretty handy because if you cannot communicate well, then you cannot teach,” Wilbur said.

Wilbur feels his current teaching job was very different than his TA job.

“Working with the students as a TA was a very different challenge than anything that I have ever done in my life,” Wilbur said. “I was a TA for the severe and profound disorder students, most of them are nonverbal and have some very specific needs,” Wilbur said.