Solar Eclipses and Universal Misconceptions

Photo by Science Museum of Oklahoma

A perfect view from Oklahoma City of the recent solar eclipse.

Kaylee Christensen, North Staff Writer

Eclipse glasses were made for a reason, but that still did not keep people from worrying that they would go blind. According to Google, its number one search the day after this year’s solar eclipse was unsurprisingly, “Am I going to lose my sight because I looked at the eclipse?” This question has plagued the minds of all Americans for a good seventy-two hours.

At Edmond North, classes were cut short in order to allow students to experience this uncommon occurrence. Kaylah Phillips, a junior at Edmond North, was excited to be able to witness this eclipse.

“I thought it was interesting and may have been better had we been in the path of complete totality, but it was still pretty cool,” Phillips said.

The scare generated from the solar eclipse is certainly not a first; people have speculated at the “real” consequences of an eclipse for centuries. In ancient Chinese cultures, they believed the darkening of the sky and disappearance of the sun was caused by a giant dog who began devouring the sun. In cultures that considered the sun as a god, like the Aztecs, they believed it had had been murdered, leading them to make human sacrifices in exchange for their own lives. Even nowadays, some believe in its superstitious nature, seeing an eclipse as a signal of a change in one’s luck or bad things to come. Whether or not someone sees this scientific phenomenon at face value as the moon moves between the sun and earth, or if they might think that it is a symbol of bad luck, it was one circumstance that had every student out and gazing up at the sky.

Physics and STEM teacher at Edmond North, Mr. Duncan Fugitt was able to take his fifth hour class out and observe it with them.

“It was an enjoyable experience, and it was unique and definitely a special moment to share with the students,” Mr Fugitt said.

It was not politics, controversy, or opposition that had these students coming together; it was their genuine enthusiasm for this remarkable solar eclipse, and those who missed it  will have another glimpse in another seven years.