Welcome Coach Roof

/Users/northruffdraft/Desktop/IMG_5254.jpg

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

This past year the Edmond North football team added a new addition to their staff: Head coach Tanner Roof. He is coming from North’s rival, Memorial. While there, he was the offensive coordinator from 2012-2016.

“From the time I came over here from Memorial, I have felt at home here at North,” Coach Roof said.

When the players were asked about the new coach they had many good things to say about him.

“A great guy, head on straight, great mind for football and a crazy work ethic,” senior Hunter Richard said.

Richard has committed to play college football at Army West Point once he graduates this school year. The players also talked about how dedicated Coach Roof is to the team. The week before the first home game he spent around 37 hours studying film to get ready for the game.

With the new coach there have already been many new changes. He has changed the culture of the North football team. Coach Roof made the summer practices more intense with harder workouts. He is working the players twice as hard to get them ready for the season.

“I think it’s a good thing they are more difficult,” Richard said.

When talking to the players, one could tell how prepared and excited they were for the season.

With the newfound confidence this season, the Husky Football team is setting their goals high.

“To see our players improve every day and every week,” is Coach Roof’s goal for his new team.

Tyler Merkley is a senior this year and has played for North since freshman year.

“Our goals are to make the playoffs and be city champs,” Merkley said.

The Huskies are hoping that with the help of Coach Roof they can redeem themselves after going 1-9 last season.