Mary McKee: the triple threat

Mary+McKee+
Mary McKee

Mary McKee

Cole Northenor

Cole Northenor

Mary McKee

Asheley Jantz, Memorial Managing Editor

Cross-country, track and softball are all sports that are played by sophomore Mary McKee, at Memorial. McKee spends her time working incredibly hard and practicing to become a better player in all three sports.

“I believe the biggest challenge of playing three sports is the amount of energy it takes,” McKee said. “Having cross country practice after school and then a softball game on the same day is very tiring, but I have learned that I need to rest and eat well.”

McKee has been playing sports for many years, so she understands that she needs to commit some time to her schoolwork.

“Balancing practice and schoolwork is hard, but I know that I have to do my best to keep track of my assignments, tests and homework to stay caught up with everyone else,” McKee said.

Although McKee is incredibly busy, she enjoys the time when she plays and the relationships she has built with her teammates.

“My favorite thing about playing three sports is simply that it is just super fun,” McKee said. “I have done sports all my life and I have met many great teammates that have become great friends.”

McKee’s coaches believe that her playing so many sports has helped improve her as a player and a person in general.

“We always encourage our kids to compete in as many sports as possible because playing multiple sports works on many aspects of athletics: competitiveness, fine tunes different muscle groups, and allows her gifts to serve the interest of our school and not just one program,” track coach Tim Grantham said. “Mary’s biggest asset is her practice habits, attention to detail and mental toughness. She trains at a high level and is extremely easy to coach as well.”

Many students feel pressure from their coaches, teachers and parents to do well in their sports and school but McKee feels that this motivates her to do well.

“There is some pressure from people that have high expectations for me but that inspires me to do my best and work hard in order to achieve my goals,” McKee said.

McKee believes that she would not be able to succeed in cross-country, track and softball if she did not have the support system of her family and friends.

“Mary is an outstanding athlete because she comes from parents that are dedicated to helping her achieve her goals. They are a tight family that supports each other,” softball coach Janet Chartney said. “With this kind of support she is thriving on the field, on the track and on the cross-country course.”

McKee hopes to make it to the all-state competitions in each of her sports for the upcoming year and excel in her athletic abilities.

Contact Asheley Jantz at [email protected]

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Honoring our veterans

• Feature

Memorial’s artists triumph at statewide art competition

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Cole Deaver debuts original piece “In Green”

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Memorial junior earns coveted fellowship

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Women working to change the world

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Oklahoma introduces new education standards for the 2017-18 school year

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

AP Studio Art: Capturing moments and the test

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Soccer: Learning on and off the field

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Christmas light conundrum

• Mary McKee: the triple threat

Youth and Government – three delegates elected

Mary McKee: the triple threat