Parking lot problems

Samantha Thompson, Memorial Copy Editor

Memorial has been deemed the “original,” high school of Edmond Public Schools. While this makes for an esteemed and respected title, it also comes with hindrances that have become prevalent during the past year.

In 1966, Memorial High School was the only high school in Edmond, and when it was built, the school had a large plot of land which promised expansion. That room to grow has dramatically decreased since the surrounding area of the high school has been almost completely filled with thriving neighborhoods and shopping centers.

This makes for problems today because of the growing student population, specifically this year’s freshman class, one of the biggest in Memorial’s history. As the school tries to expand and make more accommodating gymnasiums, band room and eventually a football stadium, the school has been constantly under construction. Not only is this a disruption to students, but it prohibits the student parking at the school from accommodating parking for all the students who need it.

Last year, many sophomores found themselves unable to purchase a parking pass; as a junior this year, they would finally be able to drive to school and be guaranteed a parking spot, or so everyone thought.

It seemed like all seniors as well as juniors would be guaranteed a spot to park at in the lot at school, but at junior schedule pickup day, it became evident that there would not be enough coveted parking stickers to go around for over 500 students.

Students were instructed to first pickup their schedules and then they could stand in line to purchase a parking pass, however by 9 a.m., the principals had changed their minds since the line for parking passes had already grown to about 200 students.

Memorial’s principal, Anthony Rose tried to explain to the growing line of frustrated students and irritated parents that only 150 passes would be given out to juniors and everyone else would be placed on a waiting list. Grumbling people became even more annoyed as many students just showed up to cut in line and stand with their friends.

Certainly, there is a more effective way to distribute parking passes so that people do not waste their time in an hour-long line just to find out that they will not be receiving a parking pass. Many students and parents were assured beforehand that all seniors and juniors would be able to receiving parking, so when they were suddenly told that they would not be able to park at the school, their anger was justified.

There was no alternative option or solution to the problem. The principal said they would begin working on the situation, but it seemed unlikely that more parking would open up anytime soon or that there would be available parking anywhere in walking distance of the school.

A week after this issue arose, Rose sent out an email informing that students would be able to park a mile away from the school near the baseball fields at Hafer Park and a bus would shuttle them at 7:20 a.m. to the school. A bus would leave from the school after sixth hour and take the students back to their cars.

While Memorial staff is trying their best to address the problem, the solution, like the original situation seems convoluted and not very thought out, although at this point it is really the only option left. With around 350 juniors without parking, it seems unrealistic that a “bus shuttle” going to take all these students, not to mention their younger siblings, all to school and make it before the start of class at 7:40 a.m. In the afternoon, the only option to use the shuttle is after sixth hour, so students who have a seventh hour are expected to walk to their cars parked at Hafer.

This situation should have been acknowledged immediately when construction at Memorial began last year. Parents should have been kept up to date with details since many of them were counting on their students to be able to drive to school this year. This fault does not lay wholly with the school, but communication in its entirety by the contractors and construction crew.

There should have been some plan ahead of time as to where students could park with the construction and better interaction between kthe staff to parents and students would have greatly improved the entire situation.

Contact Samantha Thompson at [email protected]

• Parking lot problems

Honoring our veterans

• Feature

Memorial’s artists triumph at statewide art competition

• Parking lot problems

Cole Deaver debuts original piece “In Green”

• Parking lot problems

Memorial junior earns coveted fellowship

• Parking lot problems

Women working to change the world

• Parking lot problems

Oklahoma introduces new education standards for the 2017-18 school year

• Parking lot problems

AP Studio Art: Capturing moments and the test

• Parking lot problems

Soccer: Learning on and off the field

• Parking lot problems

Christmas light conundrum

• Parking lot problems

Youth and Government – three delegates elected

Parking lot problems