National Merit Scholars

From the left: Nicholas Gonzalez, Alexandra Chiconas, Jason Hughes, Laurel Semprebon, Nathaniel Milligan, Yeahwon Lee, Alex Chao

Jaimin Patel, Memorial Managing Editor

Seven Memorial seniors were named with the title of National Merit Semifinalist: Alex Chao, Alexandra Chiconas, Nicholas Gonzalez, Jason Hughes, Yeahwon Lee, Nathaniel Milligan and Laurel Semprebon. In total, 25 students were selected in the Edmond school district.

“It feels like all of my hard work paid off,” Lee said. “It is an honor to receive the title and to be grouped with the other Semifinalists.”

To qualify for the title, students must take the PSAT during their junior year. If a student receives a score that is between 1390 and 1520, they are considered as a National Merit Semifinalist. Once they are selected, the students must go through a rigorous process to try to become a finalist.

“The process to become a finalist is kind of like applying to college,” Chao said. “You must take the SAT and score well on it and then you have to write an essay, submit a transcript and have teachers write you recommendation letters.”

One of the advantages of receiving the title is that many colleges are willing to give scholarships and pay for student’s tuition. For example, the University of Oklahoma (OU) offers National Merit Semifinalists a full ride. In some cases that helps the students decide where they want to go.

“OU is a good college and one of the main reasons that I am considering going there now is because of the offer of a full ride,” Hughes said.

The students plan to compete with the other semifinalists around the nation to be named as finalists. Those who move on to becoming finalists will be announced in February.

Contact Jaimin Patel at [email protected]

• National Merit Scholars

Honoring our veterans

• Feature

Memorial’s artists triumph at statewide art competition

• National Merit Scholars

Cole Deaver debuts original piece “In Green”

• National Merit Scholars

Memorial junior earns coveted fellowship

• National Merit Scholars

Women working to change the world

• National Merit Scholars

Oklahoma introduces new education standards for the 2017-18 school year

• National Merit Scholars

AP Studio Art: Capturing moments and the test

• National Merit Scholars

Soccer: Learning on and off the field

• National Merit Scholars

Christmas light conundrum

• National Merit Scholars

Youth and Government – three delegates elected

National Merit Scholars