New Pom Members for the Night

New Pom Members for the Night

Emily Nelson poses with the North Husky.

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

On Sept. 8 at the Varsity football game the Pom squad had an extra two new members. They welcomed senior Mckay Beard and junior Emily Nelson as honorary members for the night.  

Beard bought this special opportunity at the BALTO auction last year. She got to choose one game to cheer at and invite one friend to do it with her. For Beard, Nelson was the perfect person to ask.

“She screamed so loud when I asked her,” Beard said. “ It was so exciting for me to see her so happy.”

In preparation for the big night, both girls had to go to pom practice all week to learn the chants and drum lines. They also got to borrow an official pom uniform to wear. Nelson proudly wore the uniform to school the day of the game like the other pom girls. Junior Maddie Haiges is a member on Varsity Pom and a Junior Captain this year, and she was extremely excited to have Nelson join her on the sidelines.

“The huge smile on Emily’s face as she put on the uniform was one of the sweetest things I’ve ever seen,” Haiges said.

At the game everyone seemed ecstatic to see Nelson and Beard down on the field with the Pom Squad. The student section cheered them on the whole game. Nelson even did 22 push ups when the Husky Football team scored. Throughout the whole game, both girls spirit stayed strong and were having the time of their lives.

“I loved everything about cheering,” Nelson said.

The following week after a North win against their rival Memorial, Pom had a special surprise for Beard and Nelson. They had a little party for them and named them both Pom of the Week. It was a special night Nelson and Beard will never forget.