The Santa Fe band takes on Mustang

The Santa Fe band takes on Mustang

The logo of this year's Mustang Nightrider Invitational Contest. Santa Fe placed 6 of 12 in finals.

Photo provided

Photo provided

Photo provided

Corrie Warmoth, Santa Fe Staff Writer

For Santa Fe band students contest days are filled with excitement, stress and a sense of accomplishment. This feeling is heightened at the Mustang Nightrider Invitational due to the fact that it is the first contest the band must compete in to receive a spot in finals.

This year, the band performed the show “Queen for a Day.” Previously they received fifth place out of 16 at the Moore Outdoor Music Festival.

“At mustang, all of us really pushed ourselves in order to make finals and improve our rating from Moore Contest [Moore Outdoor Music Festival],” senior euphonium player Cameron Large said.

The band had a total of 2 weeks of preparation for the Mustang contest consisting of eight 7 a.m. rehearsals, two Tuesdays night rehearsals from 6-9 p.m., two 7:40 a.m. rehearsals and two sectional rehearsals scheduled by their group of instruments.

The band dedicated this time to add more parts to the show, to fix issues stated by judges at the Moore Festival and to correct personal mistakes. The band pushed through a rigorous two weeks in order to be prepared for Mustang Nightrider Invitational.

“The band and the directors have been working for countless hours to clean drill and rehearse music,” senior drum major Raquel Coleman said. “I could not be more proud of the work these kids are putting into our show.”

Mustang contest took place on Oct. 7 with a total of 18 bands participating from all over Oklahoma and one from Texas. The band was scheduled to play at their first performance of the day at 2:15 p.m., which determined if they made finals. After the performance the students watched the other bands perform until Drum Major massing at 5:00 p.m., where all of the drum majors then gathered on the field to see which bands passed onto finals.

“I was really excited and relieved [when we made finals] that all our hard work and dedication to the show paid off,” freshman Koby Goree said.

The Santa Fe band was the sixth to play for finals before their placement. The band ended up placing sixth out of 12 bands in the finals. The band hopes to advance the show and better their scores for future contests this season. The last contest the band will perform at will be the Oklahoma Band Association on Oct. 28.