Santa Fe’s construction is a work in progress

Jay Segroves, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Santa Fe High School’s current construction projects have experienced delays and students and staff are awaiting their finalization. Santa Fe’s principal, Jason Hayes, is excited for the many projects that are currently being worked on to be completed.

“They are working on our football field house and storm shelter classrooms in addition to finalizing the front parking lot and administrative offices,” Hayes said.

The new parking lot will soon be open for staff and visitors only and faculty parking will return to normal. Hayes welcomes this as teachers and visitors would tend to frequently run out of parking in the past.

The school’s facilities manager, Jason Brandt, also points out safety and traffic improvements that the new parking lot will bring.

“We are gaining over forty spots that will mainly be used by faculty and teachers, but it also opens the front drive for student pick up and drop off,” Brandt said.

Hayes and Brandt both believe that the delays in Santa Fe’s projects are to be expected when dealing with construction. Along with mishaps in planning, the weather has been the most prominent factor in delays.  

While the construction will provide many advantages in the future, it is currently causing distractions for the teachers whose classes lie in the West wing, where the heart of the construction is.

James Coplin, a teacher whose classroom resides in a pocket of the construction, complains that the noise has disturbed his class and that delays are creating problems.

“It has been noisy and they did not have my closets finished when school started,” Coplin said. “It’s been a hassle for me.”

Coplin also stated that the problems the construction has caused so far have overshadowed the hope for the benefits that they will bring in the future. Brandt, however, believes that these delays could be beneficial in the overall results of the construction.

“Sometimes it is worth the delays because they’re actually going to make things better in the long run by having the workers take their time as opposed to rushing things,” Brandt said.

He also speculates that the school’s construction is being done by many small companies specializing in certain utilities that have all been hired by a larger single company. Elaborating that different contractors that specialize in particular things for the various stages of construction tend to all fall under the umbrella of one head company.

While Santa Fe’s construction work has caused a number of hardships for teachers and they are currently suffering from delays, its completion is projected to bring great perks in the future.

Parking lot – Finished

Football field house – Started Nov. 2016 and will be finished Dec. 2017

Classroom renovations – Started Nov. 2016 and will be finished Dec. 2017

• Santa Fe’s construction is a work in progress

Honoring our veterans

Memorial junior earns coveted fellowship

News

More ties with Russia emerge

AP Studio Art: Capturing moments and the test

Youth and Government – three delegates elected

• Feature

New members of academic team participate in tournaments

News

Las Vegas shooting rampage takes 58 innocent lives

News

Eighth graders join Santa Fe’s band students in the stands

News

Santa Fe’s blanket dress code

News

Thunder-struck Huskies