Taking talents overseas

Sydney Varner, Santa Fe Managing Print Editor

As the academic excitement of the beginning of a new school year winds to a close, fine arts programs are gearing up for a trip overseas. Edmond Fine Arts programs from Santa Fe, North and Memorial high schools will travel to London, England for New Year’s festivities throughout the city.

The bands will march in the internationally televised New Year’s Day Parade while the orchestra and choir programs will perform and attending clinics throughout the week.  

Trying to balance performances, activities, sight-seeing and shuffling hundreds of students around a foreign city required a lot of preparation. The 2017-2018 London trip has been in the works since the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year, including a formal year-in-advance invitation from the Lord Mayor of London. Students continue to receive more information from itineraries to travel details as citizens of London continue to prepare for Edmond’s visit.

These preparations are taken in part by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBC news recently came to visit the Edmond fine arts programs, prior to their departure in December.

“BBC came to make a promotional video to show London just how many people are coming from Edmond,” Santa Fe choir director Dr. Shermie Potts said.

BBC recorded band, orchestra and choir students from the Edmond schools sending holiday greetings to the people of London to be used to show Edmond’s excitement towards their fast approaching trip.

Our students do such a great job of representing our school, community, state and the USA,” Santa Fe orchestra director Christy Fine said. “Getting to experience the history and culture of Great Britain with peers who have similar interests is great as well.”

For many students, BBC’s visit put into perspective the reality of this trip. This once in a lifetime trip has fine arts students excited to share their talents with the rest of the world.

“It [the BBC visit]  freaked me just a little bit,” junior drum major Shelby Dye said. “We’re almost there. It’s about to happen and I’m very excited.”

Anticipation is high for the New Year’s trip to London and Edmond students are ecstatic to share their talents overseas.

For more information, contact Sydney Varner at [email protected]