Another success for yearly competition of NCHO

A few of the 2017 NCHO students many of them returning from previous years.

Jayden Hannah

Jayden Hannah

Jayden Hannah, Santa Fe Staff Writer

National Central Honor Orchestra (NCHO) is a yearly event that orchestra students consider a trial to see how they would do at a state level competition. The audition was held on Oct. 7th. and offers all high schools a chance to compete with students from other schools.

Outside of NCHO, freshman students are not given many opportunities to perform outside of school. Competitions such as state do not allow freshman the ability to compete outside of their home school. It is similar to a regional competition for sports.

“NCHO is kind of like a light version of state because freshman can get into it,” Symphonic orchestra member Sam Huang said.

NCHO is broken into different sections based on grade level, such as it is broken into groups of 7 grade, 8 and 9 grade and 10 through 12. This year, NCHO had a total of 700 students audition. The competitors rehearsed and performed over a 2 day period. NCHO and State are actually quite alike, both competitions have a trial piece students must play to be order to compete.

In orchestra, being able to participate within a NCHO competition requires students to play either part of or a selected piece.  

“In comparison, judges may require both pages of the piece along with some difficult excerpts from the pieces the state orchestra will perform,” Huang said.

This year, sixteen members from Santa Fe were chosen to participate.

“It is a regional honor orchestra for schools in the OKC area including some Norman schools, some Oklahoma City, Putnam City, Mid-Del, Edmond of course and upward to Enid and Stillwater,” Head Director of Santa Fe’s symphonic Orchestra Christy Fine said.

NCHO may not be as competitive as the State competition but it is still a privilege to be able to participate as you have to audition to obtain a spot. For this reason students are then given the chance to compete with others from different schools.  Although NCHO  has less constraints than state, the seriousness is almost the equivalent, as this performance could show how they might perform in a competitive environment.