Youth and Government – three delegates elected

Senior Amelia Bond addresses a controversial topic at Youth and Government District Conferences.

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Kulsoom Ghias, Memorial Staff Writer

At Youth and Government (YAG) District Conferences, many delegates from Memorial were elected as officers for the State Conferences which will be held on Feb. 22-24. District conferences were held Nov. 4 at Edmond North High School.

“The highlight for Memorial at districts was the students being empowered with their voice,” YAG sponsor  Dr. Beth Evans said.

The Legislative, Judicial, Media and Lobbyist branches within YAG allow students to decide which branch suits them best.

“I prepared for districts by researching what my bill dealt with and what possible questions would be asked in order to answer them and convey my ideas clearly,” freshman Legislative delegate Rohan Rajeev said.

Legislative delegates of YAG write speeches and fully analyze their bill in order to be ready for Districts.

“I prepared for district conference by meeting with my partner, Cynthia Deng, and working on our case,” freshman Judicial delegate Celina Zhao said. “We wrote out all of our questions for each witness as well as our opening and closing statements.”

Judicial delegates had to read and study the court case thoroughly in order to determine what information could be used as evidence and context.

Delegates who won the election included senior Amelia Bond, junior Jake Morrison, and freshman Rajeev.

“I won Barton Sergeant-at-Arms making me feel very proud that I stepped up and ran for a position,” Rajeev said.

It is considered quite rare for a school to have a delegate as an officer, let alone three. In preparation for state conferences, these officers must improve their skills and research their topics thoroughly

“For state, we will be aiming to increase the cooperation among the members to research the legislative ideas and running through practice sessions and speeches,” Evans said. “We will also be running practice trials and appellate arguments for Judicial, allowing the state officers to work together to create a wonderful experience for all of those attending.”

District Conferences have allowed the delegates of Memorial to understand the procedures that their branch will follow, enabling them to enhance their ability to truly succeed in YAG.

Contact Kulsoom Ghias at [email protected] 

• Youth and Government – three delegates elected

The 2017 Grammys

Santa Fe Track, two months in and two records broken

Academic team scores second in state

The influenza extravaganza

Shedding light on sexual assault

Record breaking swimmers

A Sequoyah book worth reading

Wishing it wasn’t “Every Day”

“The Greatest Showman” is the greatest

Is Maze Runner: The Death Cure the finale we’ve been waiting for?