Honoring our veterans

MT2+performs+the+famous+boot+camp+scene+from+Biloxi+Blues+
MT2 performs the famous boot camp scene from Biloxi Blues

Photo By: Cole Northenor

Photo By: Cole Northenor

Amelia Bond, Memorial Staff Writer

On Wed.,  Nov. 8, Memorial’s own Musical Theater (MT2group put together a variety show in order to honor and salute the community’s veterans. The show displayed Memorial’s student talent with most of the production crafted and performed by the students.  

This Veterans Day celebration consisted of weeks of preparation and  rehearsals and the show was made up of dance numbers, vocal performances and skits, providing the audience with a well rounded view of the talents of MT2.

“It is so important for the school to show support and have productions like our Veteran’s Day show” junior Molly Erwin said. “Even through seemingly miniscule acts it does show our veterans that the community loves and supports them.”

Erwin went on to say how MT2 wanted to do the show last year but weren’t able to pull it together in time, however this year they had the talent that made the show possible.  

“This was the first performance that MT2 was able to do and it was a complete honor to be able to put together a show that brings attention to those who have sacrificed so much for our country,” Erwin said.

The effort of MT2 did not go unnoticed by the spectators of the show, in fact many of them found the performances extremely moving.

Senior Sophia Lopez, who’s father is currently deployed, explains that our current soldiers and veterans sacrifice so much for the safety our country and is vital that they receive the recognition they deserve.

“When a soldier decides to put on that uniform they are essentially saying ‘I am willing to die for you’ and that is something that should not be taken lightly,” Lopez said.  

There were a total of three assemblies given, two for the student body and one in the evening, to show our veterans that we appreciate everything they are doing for our country. Along with the student performances there was an accompanying slideshow that honored relatives of the students family members that are currently serving or who have served in the past.

The Veterans Day assembly was not only a success among the students but the faculty as well. The Advanced Placement  physics teacher Jared Keester, whose grandfather served in the Air Force during the Korean War, expressed that he thought the students did a wonderful job with all of their performances.

“My favorite part of the assembly was when MT2  performed a scene from the play ‘Biloxi Blues’,” Keester said.

Keester believes that one of the most important things we can do as a community to show the soldiers we care is to take time to write letters or make care packages to send to the troops.

“They make the ultimate sacrifice by dedicating their lives and we can in turn honor them by giving our time to recognize their commitment to our country,” Keester said.
      The Veterans Day assembly effectively highlighted how much our soldiers sacrifice for our safety. The assembly reminded the student body to honor current soldiers and to commemorate veterans.

• Honoring our veterans

Teachers line up for support

• Honoring our veterans

Blog

Faythe’s declassified self esteem survival guide

Justin Timberlake, the “Man of the Woods”

• Honoring our veterans

School board advocates for teacher walkout

• Honoring our veterans

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

• Honoring our veterans

Tips to ace any AP exam

• Honoring our veterans

Sweethearts help soccer stars

• Honoring our veterans

Oklahoma teachers prepare for walkout

• Honoring our veterans

Let’s hope this new album does not “Ruin Your Life”

• Honoring our veterans

Lost in Space: The Robinsons Return

Honoring our veterans