Cole Deaver debuts original piece “In Green”

Cole Deaver previewing a monologue from his original piece,

Cole Deaver previewing a monologue from his original piece, "In Green".

Cole Northenor

Cole Northenor

Emma McCabe, Memorial Staff Writer

On Nov. 8, senior Cole Deaver debuted his original play, “In Green,” for a Veterans Day show put on by MT2, Memorial’s traveling theatre troupe.

Deaver frequently writes pieces and films with his twin brother Luke Deaver on their YouTube channel. Last year, Deaver became interested in the Vietnam War particularly after watching Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket” and reading “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien.

“The Things They Carried” is a war memoir and semi-autobiography about the Vietnam War that outlines several personal experiences of the author when serving in Vietnam. “Full Metal Jacket” is a 1987 British-American war film broken into two parts. The first shows the struggles of a group of new recruits during boot camp, the second follows one of the recruits and how he deals with the horrors of first-hand war. Between these two pieces, something in particular stuck with Deaver.

“The kids going to do this were sometimes my age,” Deaver said. “And I couldn’t imagine getting a letter in the mail and then just having to go kill people overseas.”

He was inspired to write a monologue with the thought of a potential movie in mind. It eventually evolved into a one act play that follows a platoon based in Vietnam. As the piece progresses, the characters reveal what being deployed overseas meant for their life at home and how they deal with the war.

“The titular “In Green” monologue by the character Preacher (Trey McCabe) was the first thing written for the show, and it’s about the monotony of the green in the jungles of Vietnam and the effects that is has on the soldier,” McCabe said.

Of the characters Deaver wrote for this piece, Casanova was his favorite. Casanova, played by senior Cooper Frank, brought sincerity and depth to the show in ways that were emotionally provoking and held the entire audience’s attention. Casanova’s story provided insight about what it was like to be a kid one day and a soldier the next.

“He was the comic relief of the group and I love to make people laugh. But more than that, I wanted to tell a story wherein the comic relief was forced to become a leader,” Deaver said.

His cast and him are thinking about entering it into some festivals though Deaver doesn’t think he will further the play into two acts or into a movie script.

“As of now, I like it exactly where it is.  I do not want to expand it if it doesn’t need to be expanded,” Deaver said. “But if I come up with an idea to make it into a movie then that would be great, I do have ideas for it.”

Looking back on writing and directing his first play, Deaver finds a key aspect he can take away from the experience is the importance of time management. Working with a cast made up of close friends and those he was used to working with was very enjoyable.

“Cole’s directing style was fairly lax, which allowed actors to really branch out and find our own character,” Frank said. “He has a lot of potential and I hope he pursues this as a career.”

Deaver hopes to attend Chapman University’s Dodge College of Film and Media Art this upcoming 2018-19 school year. He wants to continue writing and eventually write for a living, maybe, even one day directing as well.  

Contact Emma McCabe at [email protected]

• Cole Deaver debuts original piece “In Green”

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

Teachers line up for support

Remembering the first postal shooting in Edmond

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

Sweethearts help soccer stars

R-Word Campaign returns to North

• Feature

Author Joelle Charbonneau visits North

Walkouts for gun reform sweep the nation

• Feature

How Ryleigh Horst “does it all”

The wondrous success of Act II