More ties with Russia emerge

Carter Page has constantly made headlines due to possible ties with Russia. Many remain concerned for what this means for Trump's election and what it means moving forward.

Lauren Couch, Santa Fe Editor-in-Chief

Throughout the first year of Trump’s presidency, the question of ties with Russia remains a prominent focus. Within the last few weeks specifically, House Intelligence has questioned Carter Page, Trump’s ex-foreign policy advisor, for having a private meeting with Russian officials in July 2016.

Page has been under a magnifying glass by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (F.B.I.) since 2013 (nytimes.com). At the time, there was suspicion regarding a Russian spy attempting to recruit Page. Due to that complication, the F.B.I. raised their concern when Page joined the Trump team and then soon delivered a speech in 2016 at a well-known Moscow institute.

“All of his [Page’s] actions only make me more concerned for Trump’s presidency,” senior Akiya Milton said.

The discussion of Page and Trump has been communicated through Russian officials is definite, but his testimony heightens the wavering understanding of the whole situation. Page claimed to have only spoken to one Russian official, Arkadiy Dvorkovich (cnn.com), but this may contradict all the information he gathered from only 3 days in Russia. Republican Trey Gowdy, further questioned Page in the testimony, “You seem to draw a distinction between a meeting, a greeting, a conversation, and you hearing a speech.”

“It’s easy to see right through Page, he should have had his story straight if he wanted his name to be cleared,” senior Sona Maan said.

As the investigation continues, many are beginning to question the reliability of Trump’s election as a whole. Within his first term, his acceptance rate has dropped to only a 35% approval after Hurricane Harvey (time.com) and it continues to falter upon trying circumstances like these. However, Trump continues to claim he has no part in the scandal regarding Page.

“FAKE NEWS – A TOTAL POLITICAL WITCHHUNT,” President Trump tweeted.

These ties with Russia continue to unfold but America is bound to be left in uncertainty as the disconnection between the Whitehouse and media remains.

For more information, contact Lauren Couch at: [email protected].

Lauren Couch, Santa Fe Copy Editor

Hi, I'm Lauren Couch, a junior at Santa Fe High school. This is my second year of writing on the Santa Fe Ruff Draft and my first year of being a copy...

• More ties with Russia emerge

News

How The Oscars Impact Society

• More ties with Russia emerge

Lady bulldog soccer

• More ties with Russia emerge

Bulldogs become regional champs

• More ties with Russia emerge

The new band room has arrived

• More ties with Russia emerge

Memorial

Breaking ground for the Edmond Tennis Center

• More ties with Russia emerge

Female Democrats in Oklahoma rising to the top

• More ties with Russia emerge

Shutdown affects Memorial families

• More ties with Russia emerge

Academic team crowned area champions

• More ties with Russia emerge

New construction brings new music to Santa Fe

• More ties with Russia emerge

Counselors guide students to success

More ties with Russia emerge