Memorial junior earns coveted fellowship

Junior Priyanna Patelwill be  attending a French high school for two weeks in the spring.

Junior Priyanna Patelwill be attending a French high school for two weeks in the spring.

Emily Singleton

Emily Singleton

Emily Singleton

Rachel Bussert and Natalia Mora

Memorial’s very own junior from Zimbabwe, Priyanna Patel, was recently selected for an internship through the school’s French program.

She will attend a French high school for two weeks in the spring and research the self-chosen topic, “The Cultural and Societal Differences in France Before and After World War I.”

“I didn’t believe it,” Patel said. “There were lots of candidates with stronger French origins, and I didn’t think I would make it in; I was very happy to have been chosen.”

Candidates apply through a one-of-a-kind, rigorous selection process, including two interviews in both French and English and demonstration of academic expertise in the language. Once selected, students travel to the Picardy region in France to pursue their studies and report their findings to Alliance de Francaise after the trip back home.

Patel hopes to participate in French classes, clubs and internships at the collegiate level. In addition to her French courses, she hopes to major in engineering and tailors her school schedule accordingly.

“I love the French language and the culture. I think it’s very unique and I wanted to learn a different thing compared to English language and culture,” Patel said.

This opportunity did not come solely due to Patel’s dedication, as she has been working towards this goal for quite some time and proves to be well rounded in school activities. She avidly participates in AP French, Key Club, orchestra and National Honor Society.

“I can not say enough about Priyanna, she is fantastic,” said French teacher Peggy Whittington. “She came to me two years ago as my youngest French II student and was the best in my class; she is an outstanding young woman.”

Whittington is not alone in her words of praise for Patel and her accomplishments, as her kind, genuine, and down-to-earth reputation is well known among her peers. Patel’s friend junior Priya Patel agrees.

“She’s achieved a lot,” Priya says. “She works very hard for what she wants, and she pushes herself to achieve it.”

Patel, through all the difficulties she has faced in achieving this internship, has learned valuable lessons from the experience.

“Take the risk,” Patel said. “Apply for it; even if you think you have no shot at making it, do it anyways, because by some stroke of luck, you might just make it in!”

Contact Rachel Bussert and Natalia Mora at [email protected]