American Heart Association Sweethearts

Savannah Steele (left) and Ella Ingram (right) enjoy the Heart Ball last February.

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

Sophomore and Junior girls at North who come to represent leadership and success are chosen to work with the Oklahoma City American Heart Association Sweethearts, a fundraiser put on to raise money to end heart related diseases and deaths in Oklahoma.

Starting in September and going until May, the Sweetheart program offers many activities and opportunities for the young women. These activities include mixers, official CPR training and certification, Father Daughter cooking class, a Teleparty to raise money, hazards of smoking seminar, a day at the Capitol, OKC Heart Walk and the biggest event, the Heart Ball.

Maddie Haiges is a Junior at North, and this is her first year being a Sweetheart.

“ I think the Heart Ball is going to be a super cool experience” Haiges said, “ I can’t wait to see everyone dressed up and having a good time.”

The Heart Ball is what the Sweethearts look forward to most. They get to pick out long ball gowns and take portraits in their dresses. At the dance, their names are announced in front of all the attendees, and are escorted out by their father. This year the ball is held on Feb. 10 at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. The dance is focused around them and honors what all they have done to help the Oklahoma City American Heart Association.

To be chosen as a Sweetheart is a big honor for the high schoolers. Adults that are involved in the Sweetheart program or American Heart Association will submit names of outstanding young women. Then those invited will attend a meeting to learn more about the program and what all it entails. Those who wish to join will then pay a fee. A Sweetheart can only be one for that one year then, the next year they can sign up to be a Big Sis.

A Sweetheart Big Sis is a fairly new program made up of high school Juniors that were apart of the Sweetheart program the year before. Their job is to help guide the new Sweethearts throughout the year, while also participating in the same activities as them.

The Sweetheart program gives many opportunities and experience to high school girls. It teaches them leadership, communication skills and a heart healthy lifestyle, while making new friends from other schools. It prepares them for their future and encourages them to have a successful career.

For any questions or concerns email [email protected] or visit the OKC American Heart Association website for additional information.

• American Heart Association Sweethearts

Blog

Faythe’s declassified self esteem survival guide

North

“Love, Simon” is stunningly revolutionary

North

The issue of the basis on mental illness for gun violence

Justin Timberlake, the “Man of the Woods”

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

Sweethearts help soccer stars

News

Oklahoma teachers walkout

Lost in Space: The Robinsons Return

Somewhere in Northern Italy…

North

Losing sleep over Daylight Saving Time

American Heart Association Sweethearts