Popular Mexican-American star earned her Hollywood star

Andrea Hernandez, Santa Fe Staff Writer

A Mexican-American well known singer, Selena Quintanilla Perez, has recently received her recognition by earning a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Millions adored “the Queen of Tejano music” and the Latina icon. She has created many studio albums, all instantly became a hit. Many featured Perez songs such as “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom,” “Como La Flor” and “Amor Prohibido” are still played today.
At age 23, Perez was tragically shot and killed by the president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldivar, 22 years ago. The world was shocked and, even till this day, the motive for her murder remains unknown; however, mourning her deaths remains.
Perez still carries her legacy on 22 years later, breaking barriers and inspiring many in her short time.
“I feel like she inspires us by showing latinos that you can be anything no matter the discrimination you face and where you come from,” freshman Daniela Perez said.
On Nov. 3, Perez finally received her long awaited star on the Walk of Fame. Her 4,500 admirers in attendance was the largest crowd ever for a Walk of Fame ceremony.
“Selena should have been given her award of the star a long time ago when she was alive, but it is good that she is honored with recognition now,” sophomore Jackelyn Gallegos said. “She still is very well-known and connected with mostly all Mexican-Americans in the United States.”
Famous stars attended the unveiling of Perez’s star such as: Edward James, Eric Garcetti, Eva Longoria and many more.
“The star isn’t just for Selena, but for all latinas,” actress Eva Longoria said. (latimes.com)

Selena Quintanilla Perez was honored with her star on the Walk of Fame 22 years later after her death.

Perez is part of of the small handful whose legacy will live on forever. She inspired others to be a proud Mexican-American, to live life to the fullest and to follow your dreams. She has touched more generations than anyone could have ever imagined.