Ruff Draft Participates in Mock Conference

Students+in+the+Public+Relations+course+at+Oklahoma+City+University+answer+questions+dealing+with+an+mock+situation+of+men%27s+basketball+team+members+kneeling+during+the+National+Anthem.+

Matteo Sarais

Students in the Public Relations course at Oklahoma City University answer questions dealing with an mock situation of men's basketball team members kneeling during the National Anthem.

Kathryn Burkhart, Santa Fe Staff Writer

This past month, Edmond Santa Fe’s Ruff Draft staff traveled to Oklahoma City University took participated in a broadcasted mock press conference. The conference was based on a fictional scenario on the subject of sports athletes, in this case basketball players, protesting the national anthem in the form of kneeling. Santa Fe’s Ruff Draft was tasked with asking open-ended questions to the auditors holding the press conference.

“This was one of our most successful mocks yet,” OCU Director of Student Publications Dr. Kenna Griffin said. “The questions were great and lead to an interesting conversation and brought up even more relevant questions.”

Griffin’s students conducted the fictional conference by acting as the various speakers and reporters present. Ruff Draft students had the opportunity to participate by interviewing the college students during the conference.

“It was a great experience for us,” Ruff Draft writer Andrea Hernandez said. “The conference was like the ones I see on TV. It’s so interesting to feel like you’re part of it. It’s nerve-racking but a lot of fun.”

The point of view on which the interviewees would take was unknown to the Ruff Draft students; they had to prepare questions regarded both sides of the argument. The OCU students had decided to take the route of supporting the fictional basketball team’s actions of kneeling during the national anthem.

“It’s invaluable experience to go to a conference or as close as you can to a real one,” said AP Government teacher K.C. Williams. “Learning how the media works and how to differentiate fake and real news, especially in today’s day and age.”

Ruff Draft students were given a tour of the campus after the conference and were showed the numerous opportunities OCU has to offer.

For more information, contact Kathryn Burkhart at: [email protected].