The best of the Big Apple

Samantha Thompson, Memorial Staff Writer

For 23 years, the seniors of the Edmond Memorial High School DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) Chapter have gone to New York on a trip to further their knowledge of successful businesses in the real world. This trip took place from Nov. 15-19. With a limited few days in the ‘Big Apple,’ the chapter advisor, Kim Walters, planned every minute of the trip, letting the students see and experience the most in the city.

This excursion provided a once in a lifetime opportunity to see how big businesses and companies run effectively. The seniors were able to go on a behind the scenes tours of NBC Studios, where they not only toured the sets but also inadvertently ran into rapper Eminem. Some of the student visited Madison Square Garden, where they were privately taken into the Knicks locker room.

“The NBC tour was my favorite part of the whole trip,” senior Nawal Saya said. “It was such a cool experience to go behind the scenes at the studios and learn about the history and see how much NBC has grown through the years.”

To further their knowledge in media and its role in marketing, the students explored the Paley Center for Media where they took time analyzing the most popular ads and logos throughout the years. After this, they were able to go on a walking tour through the Lower East Side, where they studied the financial district.

“We were able to visit so many places that really help my students to see marketing tactics and big businesses,” Walters said. “Each year I look forward to this trip because students come back with such a plethora of knowledge and new ideas.”

This trip, while educational, was not only remarkable because of what the Memorial students learned. The bonding experiences and unforgettable memories made a lasting impression on each student. These most memorable moments included ice skating in Rockefeller Center, eating delicious food from the many popular restaurants in New York and the trip to the famous observation deck, Top of the Rock.

“I loved ice skating with everyone at Rockefeller,” senior Anna Babcock said. “We were constantly with each other and because of this, we were always laughing and making memories.”

In their last year of DECA, the seniors were able to make new memories in New York. This trip will be something that the class of 2018 DECA members can look back on and remember.

Contact Samantha Thompson at [email protected]

The best of the Big Apple