Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Travis Scott and Quavo's unique artwork for the album.

Photo provided

Cason White, North Staff Writer

Travis Scott and Quavo have both been setting the rap game on fire over the past two years. Travis’ most recent album, “Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight” debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 after it’s release. Quavo’s 7th album released with the rap group Migos titled “Culture” also debuted at number one upon its release.

Collaboration rumors between the two artists surfaced in early 2017 and fans were sent into a frenzy. The rappers confirmed that they did have a project coming, but the release date was pushed from the summer to the end of 2017.

With anticipation for the collab at its peak as the year was coming to an end, Travis and Quavo dropped the long awaited project titled “Hunch Jack, Jack Huncho” on Dec. 22. The 13 song tape debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 and sold 90,000 units in its first week.

The first song “Modern Slavery” does an incredible job setting the tone for the album with Travis and Quavo both talking about their expensive jewelry and designer clothes. A perfect into for the two artists to start out on.

Throughout the entire tape both artists are in their their absolute best form on each track which is exactly what any rap form could hope for from debatably the best rappers in the game. On the second song “Black and Chinese” Travis continues to set the pace for the album with his hard bars and superior ad-libs before Quavo comes and adds his taste to Scott’s bars.

The rappers continue to assert their dominance with “Eye 2 Eye” and keep it going until we see a tempo switch up on “Go.” The tape concludes with a perfect outro in the form of the song “Best Man” where Trav and Quavo take turns trading bars and speaking about counting all of their money with their best friends, an appropriate ending to an album created by two friends who seem to be on fire.

Deciding the best song on “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” is a difficult task with each track having a lasting impression. The contenders for my favorite come down to “Black and Chinese,” “Motorcycle Patches,” “Saint,” “Dubai (feat. Offset),” and “Where U From.”

The nod for best song would have to be “Where U From.” The beat on the song provides a different production feel unlike any other from the album. Quavo starts off the song rapping on the Chorus, “If that coup came with wings I don’t want it,” my personal favorite bar from the entire album. Travis Scott follows Quavo on the chorus with his autotuned rapping and keeps the song diverse. All in all the entire track is a complete flex for the artists.

“Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” is available on many platforms, including Apple Music and Spotify. If you would like a direct link so Spotify, click here. If you would like a direct link to iTunes, click here. 

Cason White, North Staff Writer

My name is Cason but a lot of people call me Caso. I'm a sophomore at North and this is my second year on staff. I run track and love writing for newspaper.

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Doctor Who breaks gender barriers

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Acknowledging a great teacher

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Angel Star tree and Dallas trip for DECA

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

How to spice up your Winter Break

• Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho Review