Vine 2 making a comeback?

Vine 2 making a comeback?

Myel Solorzano, Santa Fe Staff Writer

In  Jan. 2017 the worldwide beloved app “Vine” was taken off of the app store and switched for a “pared down” camera application instead. The action was abrupt and shocking because of how much attention and support it received over its four year span. Thankfully, as 2017 came to an end, original Vine co-founder, Dom Hofmann, hinted at the return of the heartwarming app.

After Vine initially came out, it became the world’s number 1 tool for making short video clips. It was an exciting new application unlike anything else, the 6 second video limit forced users to think creatively for their posts.

“When I was in middle school, my friends and I would always have sleepovers and make up vine ideas,” sophomore Andy Porter said. “It was so much fun, I was upset for weeks after they deleted it off of the app store. Everyday after school, I go home and watch vine compilations ”

The app catered to all different kinds of creative groups, such as comedians, magicians and musicians  resulting in the careers of many famous people today. Zach King, a mind boggling magician posted snippets of his tricks that earned him 4 million followers and more than 1.4 billion views. Logan Paul, a viner whose videos have looped more than 4 billion times, and earned him up to $200,000 to create single vines for brands that requested videos.

With all of the success and money the application was bringing in, no one could have ever predicted the downfall of Vine, but in January 2017, Twitter withdrew their funding and deleted the app. The reason for ending it was never clear, but at the time Twitter was cutting a significant amount of jobs in order to be profitable. But now, Twitter is financially stable and in a place where they would be able to support the new “Vine 2.”

On November 30th, Dom Hoffman tweeted a picture of a logo that looked very much like the original Vine logo.

“I’m going to work on a follow-up to vine. I’ve been feeling it myself for some time and have seen a lot of tweets, dms, etc.” Hoffman stated in a follow up tweet, “I’m funding it myself as an outside project, so it doesn’t interfere with the (quite exciting) work we’re doing at the company, which is my first priority.”

This exciting news sparked a flood of tweet replies from excited users. People all around the world voiced their opinions on what they would like to see in the new application.

“ I can’t wait for the new Vine 2 app. My friends and I are going to make a lot more videos this time around,” sophomore Priscilla Cabrera said.

There is no set date for when the app will return, it is just rumored to make an appearance back in 2018. Although it is unclear if Vine 2 creators will be taking in suggestions, for the sake of the new app, it is not completely out of the question. After all, that is the main goal of the creators: success and admiration of Vine 2.

For more information, contact Myel Solorzano at: [email protected]

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

The growing importance of #thinkbeforeyoupost

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

STEM: Starting off young

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

Multi-Cultural club: bringing cultures together

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

National Honor Society brings the Christmas spirit

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

StuCo spreads positivity this holiday season

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

Francis Tuttle provides different education opportunities

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

Freshman all-state stars

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

EMHS Choir goes to OSU

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

Principal Rose takes to the skies

• Vine 2 making a comeback?

French fellows experience life at Edmond North

Vine 2 making a comeback?