Headed South for Winter- Olympics 2018

The Olympics will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea after thirty years.

Ainsley Martinez, North Staff Writer

It’s a slippery ride to the upcoming Olympic games as controversies ice over conflicting countries. The Winter Games are being held in Pyeongchang, South Korea this year in February. This is the first time in history that the Olympics will be in South Korea.

Due to long disputes between South Korea and North Korea, tensions in the games have arisen. The political conflicts between South and North Korea have been ongoing since the 1950’s, and because the two countries are technically still at war military threats hold strain. But nuclear tensions aren’t the only considerations, things such as flag unification during opening and closing ceremonies have been questioned. Kim Jong Un addressed these matters- or rather addressed discussing these issues with South Korean president Moon Jae-in. The meeting took place on Tuesday, January 9th- the first time the two countries have talked in years. North Korea will end up sending athletes to South Korea for the Winter Games, and both of the countries have agreed to take a step in relieving military tensions. A statement was made concluding the decisions made in the meeting.

“South and North Korea have decided to make joint efforts for the unity of the people and reconciliation by establishing an environment for peace and easing military tensions on the Korean Peninsula,” the statement said.

Even with the South and North Korea debacle being simmered down, other controversies continue to boil. This year, Russia will be banned from participating in the Winter Games due to a continued history of the use of performance enhancing drugs. Their first place ranking performance being absent will bring new dynamics to the games as they are the primary competition for the United States. These repercussions could turn over into less Russian tourists’ dollars spent in Pyeongchang. Vladimir Putin has expressed his disapproval of IOC’s decision saying it was, “absolutely staged and politically motivated”. (The Strait Times)

With every monumental event comes a few stressors along the way, but the games will still start at 6 pm on Feb 7th. Airing on NBC in America, you can be sure that people all around the world will be tuning in for some international competition.

For any comments or concerns, email [email protected]

• Headed South for Winter- Olympics 2018

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

Teachers line up for support

Remembering the first postal shooting in Edmond

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

Sweethearts help soccer stars

R-Word Campaign returns to North

• Feature

Author Joelle Charbonneau visits North

Walkouts for gun reform sweep the nation

• Feature

How Ryleigh Horst “does it all”

• Feature

DECA prepares to blow the competition away at state

Headed South for Winter- Olympics 2018