Santa Fe’s basketball teams on the path to state

Santa+Fe+athletes+playing+against+WestMoore+team+in+the+recent+game+on+February+6th.+
Santa Fe athletes playing against WestMoore team in the recent game on February 6th.

Maddie Bunn

Maddie Bunn

Corrie Warmoth, Santa Fe Staff Writer

It has been two years since Santa Fe’s boys’ and girls’ basketball teams were both placed as one of the 5 top teams of the state. With only two weeks left, both teams are challenged to keep their ranking until playoffs.

The girls’ basketball team is currently ranked third in the state and has won 13 out of a total of 16 games. The first two losses occurred towards the beginning of the season with the first loss against Edmond Memorial with a score of 39-52 in November and the second loss against Edmond North with a score of 48-52 in Dec. These early losses did not hinder the girls’ spirit but it enabled them to work harder.

“Coming off of our loses we work together better, “ girls’ basketball coach Paul Bass said. “It is one of the reasons why we are ranked so high now.”

Through practices and working together the girls have established a bond that helps them on the court, which also helps when games are close.

“We play as a team,” junior Keira Neal said. “ The chemistry we have on the court has helped us win the games we have played. “

The girls’ basketball team isn’t the only one ranked highly. Santa Fe’s boys’ basketball team is ranked fourth in the state. They have won a total of 13 out of 16 games so far. Their losses also occurred early in the season, both in December, against Northwest Classen and Norman North. But despite their losses they have managed to keep a solid defense, which has helped them achieve their high ranking and wins.

“We have a really good defense,” senior captain Kamden Gipson said. “It is one of the best defenses in the state.”

As the basketball season progresses Santa Fe basketball teams prepare for regionals, Feb. 22-24, in hopes of making it to state, which takes place on March 8-10. In order to make it to state both teams have to win two games in regionals in order to make it to Area, March 1-3, and then must win 1-2 games in area to reach state.

The next game both basketball teams play in is Jan. 30 against Stillwater with the home advantage followed by Feb. 2 game at home versus Mustang.

• Santa Fe’s basketball teams on the path to state

New wolf educator comes from huskie background

Reviews

Attempting the 21-Day Fix Diet and Exercise Program

Santa Fe Track, two months in and two records broken

Summer time opportunities for students

Personality Profiles

Shelby Dye: A queen of all trades

Reviews

21-day fix diet program

“Anything Goes” coming soon to a theater near you

Reviews

Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle Review

Vine 2 making a comeback?

Reviews

Pixar’s Coco embraces Latino Culture and Celebrates Las Dias De Los Muertos