New Wolf educator comes from Husky background

New Teacher Miss Newman teaches her English 4th hour class.

Maddie Bunn

Maddie Bunn

Jayden Hannah, Santa Fe Staff Writer

As Santa Fe high school crossed into the new year they introduced a new wolf into the pack. A former Edmond North Ruff Draft editor and staff member, Callie Newman, has taken a position of creative writing and English, 3 teacher. The class where Newman student taught is right across the hall from the classroom she teaches now. She credits her helpful and supportive past to the opportunities she has now.

“I was fortunate enough to have two extremely supportive parents growing up,” Newman said. ”They taught me the importance of persevering when things get hard and to approach every situation in my life as a chance to grow and learn. I went to Edmond Public schools from the age of 5 all the way through high school at Edmond North.”

Newman has been avid about taking on new experiences and learning. Growing up she has always taken an interest in English in school. She went to the University of Central Oklahoma furthering her English education within the location of Edmond, where Newman’s heart is. Despite being a student teacher last semester Newman still had a number of questions about becoming a teacher.

Callie Newman (second row, far right) represented the Edmond North Ruff Draft staff at the OU Spring Media Monday at the University of Oklahoma.

“I think the first day as a teacher is almost more terrifying than each first day of school I ever experienced as a student,” Newman said. “Of course I fear the usual stuff- will the students be open-minded to a new teacher? Will they want to come to my class? Will they make fun of the pictures of my dogs? But most importantly, my biggest fear as a new teacher was- will I be good at this?”

Both students and teachers have confidence in Newman going into this new year, making sure she feels welcome and comfortable here in Santa Fe.

Callie Newman (middle) was one of the editors of the 2013 Edmond North Ruff Draft. Newman met her fiance, Blake Reichert (left) while on staff their senior year.

“Mrs. Newman deserves to be recognized for her dedication to teaching; she is always encouraging students to be better,” senior creative writing student Keri Guthrie said. “ She is a great role model for me, as I also aspire to be a teacher.”

Newman has taken over a class mid-term which is not seen as easy within the teaching community. She is looking forward to trying out teaching at the full helm of a classroom.

“Ms. Newman is doing a phenomenal job teaching English III. She is excited to be a Wolf and will fit right in with our enthusiastic junior English team,” English teacher Melody Wright said.

Almost a month into her new teaching job here at Santa Fe she still may not have the answers to many of her questions, but Newman nonetheless is still determined

Blake Reichert (left) and Callie Newman (right) met their senior year as editors on the Ruff Draft staff. They were recently engaged and a wedding date has not been set.

“That may not be a question I ever truly get an answer to, as it’s hard to objectively measure goodness. But what matters most is that I look forward to walking through those doors each day, and I do,” Newman said.

Newman has been passionate about literature since grade school and now she has the opportunity to teach and further her interest as an English 3 teacher. Even though this is her first time teaching her own classes, Newman is excited to take this first semester head on.

For More Information contact Jayden Hannah at [email protected]

• New Wolf educator comes from Husky background

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

Teachers line up for support

Remembering the first postal shooting in Edmond

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

Sweethearts help soccer stars

R-Word Campaign returns to North

• Feature

Author Joelle Charbonneau visits North

Walkouts for gun reform sweep the nation

• Feature

How Ryleigh Horst “does it all”

• Feature

DECA prepares to blow the competition away at state