Record breaking swimmers

Megan Cherry, Staff writer

On Sat. Jan 20  Memorial swimmers competed in the Central Oklahoma Area Conference (COAC). Their goal was to break school, conference and personal records, and that is exactly what they did.

Senior Katie Callahan broke the COAC record in the 500 and 200 yard freestyle.

“I knew what my goals were going into the meet; I went straight into race mode,” Callahan said. “The 500 yard record was also my personal best time.”

Callahan broke other COAC records including the 200 yard relay and the 400 yard relay along with seniors Kellie Fischer, Sydney Parker and junior Riley Bushey.

“The relay was super exciting; the best part was probably the very end because right as Kellie, the third leg, touched the wall, something with the scoreboard malfunctioned so we couldn’t see the time,” sophomore Angelina Rossi said, “When Katie reached the wall it showed the time, and we had broken the record, everyone was out of control, screaming and hugging it was great.”

This season is  head coach Valerie Wingerson’s first year at Memorial and she is already proving to be a smart and driven leader.

“Saturday was awesome, all of the kids that went out wanting to break records were successful,” Wingerson said. “The 200 free record had been in place since 2001 so that was a huge deal.”

The girls’ team came in first and the boys came in seventh, with Memorial coming in fourth overall.

The state meet is on Feb. 16 and 17, and students are encouraged to come and support the Memorial swimmers.

Contact Megan Cherry at [email protected]

Record breaking swimmers