Shedding light on sexual assault

The #MeToo movement that was started on Twitter has raised an enormous amount of awareness and helped women rally together against mistreatment.

Asheley Jantz, Memorial Managing Editor

In early October of 2017, filmmaker Harvey Weinstein was accused of decades long of inappropriate behavior by dozens of women. The allegations against Weinstein seemed to open a floodgate in Hollywood and other industries starting global movements like #MeToo which was a hashtag on Twitter that allowed women to share their stories of assault, and the Times Up movement demonstrated at the 2018 Golden Globe awards. Participants wore black to signify that the time for mistreatment of women and minorities would not be tolerated.

These movements and the subject of sexual assault have been perpetual topics in the media and it has been incredibly interesting to see how different comedians and television personalities have dealt with such a sensitive topic.

Samantha Bee, host of the political satire show, Full Frontal, is one of the few female comedians to have a late night show. Bee has discussed the #MeToo movement from a woman’s perspective stating, “It doesn’t have to be rape to ruin your life, and it doesn’t have to ruin your life to be worth speaking out about,” she said. “Any kind of sexual harassment or coercion is unacceptable.”

Several men in the spotlight have also expressed their support for women by discussing the #MeToo movement and making themselves allies that advocate for change.

Trevor Noah, host of a comedy show called The Daily Show, is one of those men that has discussed the importance of holding powerful men accountable for their actions. “…18 women have accused Trump of sexually harassing them and in the last year he went and became president and they’ve gotten everything from abuse online to death threats, which seems fair to some, but in the wake of the #MeToo movements these women have regrouped and they’re telling their stories again,” Noah said.

While most men and women have been strong supporters of sexual assault victims, some public figures have made victim blaming comments.

In a segment on Fox News, political commentator Tomi Lahren stated, “Do the Democrats not believe in due process? Because I can sit here as a woman and say I don’t think it’s right that every woman is just believed her truth is just taken as the ultimate truth without an investigation. Think of how powerful that it is, trial by social media. Let’s get over this.”

Wendy Williams was ridiculed on Twitter in October of 2017 after discussing rape allegations against the rapper Nelly when she blamed the victim stating, “If she did not put herself in that situation, this wouldn’t have happened. Young lady, you’ve got to stay out of tour buses.”

These comments are completely unacceptable because the victim of sexual assault should never be blamed for the disgusting actions of their abuser.

Sexual assault is a delicate subject to discuss, but it is important that celebrities use their platform to bring awareness and showcase support in order to help end harassment and not victimize the victims even more.

Contact Asheley Jantz at [email protected]

Life Skills 101: more helpful than a regular school day?

• Shedding light on sexual assault

The problem with Pilot

• Shedding light on sexual assault

Time’s Up: the next stage

• Shedding light on sexual assault

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

• Shedding light on sexual assault

Unjust reckoning of Dunkirk’s best picture nomination

• Shedding light on sexual assault

“Life of the Party” is the perfect Mother’s Day blockbuster

• Shedding light on sexual assault

Helping depressing statistics of teen depression

• Shedding light on sexual assault

Teachers line up for support

• Shedding light on sexual assault

Blog

Faythe’s declassified self esteem survival guide

Justin Timberlake, the “Man of the Woods”

Shedding light on sexual assault