Summer time opportunities for students

Sophomore Zoe Spencer prepares for her audition by practicing her still-life charcoal drawings.

Matteo Sarais

Matteo Sarais

Myel Solorzano, Santa Fe Staff Writer

The summertime is typically reserved for time with friends, camp, vacations or work. This summer, students are being given the opportunity to audition for OSAI (Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute) at Quartz Mountain. Starting on June 9 and ending on the 24th, it is a camp that provides professional training for artistically talented Oklahoma high school students, including graduating seniors.

Ranging from acting, chorus, creative writing, dance, drawing and painting, film and video, orchestra, and photography, Quartz Mountain offers classes to everyone’s talents.

Teens can apply for, at most, four categories. Students schedule their audition online and try out at one of the listed sites.

“I think art students should audition because if you think about it, you have nothing to lose,” Studio art teacher Kevin Thomas said. “If you don’t make it the first year you audition, at least you have experience for the next year’s audition.”

After the audition for art students, participants are selected through a competitive statewide selective process and every accepted participant will receive a scholarship to attend the camp. The scholarship will cover the attendants stay at the camp, but certain disciplines require the students to bring their own supplies.   

By going through the process of trying out, students gain drawing experience and learn skills that will benefit them in the future.

“I tried out in the past for the drawing category and I feel like it really helped the way I create my art,” sophomore Andi Presley said. “I signed up to audition at a high school and all of the supplies you need are supplied for you.”

This year, several art students are trying out to attend the two week camp. Experienced and inexperienced teens are signing up online to show their skills at one of the listed audition sites.

“This is my first year auditioning and I’m excited but very nervous,” sophomore Sheyenne Cannon said. “I love art and my teacher suggested that I tryout so I signed up.”

Anyone who has a desire to pursue a career in any of these categories should look up the Quartz Mountain website and apply to try out. It is a prestigious camp and students are given the opportunity to make lifelong friends along with learning beneficial skills.  

• Summer time opportunities for students

A new addition to the Freshman Academy

• Feature

Meet the new teachers: Amanda Liu

• Feature

Meet the new teachers: Heather Cox

Football team supports Fields and Futures

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

Teachers line up for support

Remembering the first postal shooting in Edmond

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

Sweethearts help soccer stars

R-Word Campaign returns to North

Summer time opportunities for students