The road to 300 wins

Shane Cowherd received his 300th win Feb. 6. Although he is excited about the accomplishment, he looks forward in his career to being with his players.

Ashton Jantz

Ashton Jantz

Jaimin Patel, Memorial Managing Editor

As with any sport, basketball is a game full of opportunities to succeed. This seems to be the case for basketball head coach Shane Cowherd, who received his 300 win on Feb. 6 against Southmoore High School.

Despite having a general idea of when he would achieve it, physically winning the game felt more fulfilling; however, the meaning of it was unique to him.

“It’s a big accomplishment, but more importantly it’s about each win and all of the faces that were associated with them,” Cowherd said.

Although he currently serves as a basketball head coach, Cowherd’s love for the game began at a young age, as he played in high school and college. After graduating, he went on to coach at Western Heights High School, eventually leading him to Memorial.

“As an athlete, I loved to compete, and, as a coach, that keeps you as close as you can be to that competitiveness,” Cowherd said. “Most importantly, I enjoy the relationships that I have the opportunity to build with other players and athletes.”

Most players agree that the relationships, built with their coaches, go far beyond the game.

“We have a strong relationship,” junior Drew Tennial said. “I feel like I can trust him and go to him to talk about anything.”

In the span of 300 wins, Cowherd has added many accolades to his resume, including three state championships and being selected as the USA Today National Coach of the Year. In addition, he has accumulated many iconic moments.

“There are losses that are stamped to my name as much as wins,” Cowherd said. “Whether they are good or bad, there are so many moments that I will carry with me.”

Overall, Cowherd is excited about reaching a new accolade. He hopes to continue to build memories with more players as he continues in his career.

Contact Jaimin Patel at [email protected]

Life Skills 101: more helpful than a regular school day?

• The road to 300 wins

The problem with Pilot

• The road to 300 wins

Time’s Up: the next stage

• The road to 300 wins

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

• The road to 300 wins

Unjust reckoning of Dunkirk’s best picture nomination

• The road to 300 wins

“Life of the Party” is the perfect Mother’s Day blockbuster

• The road to 300 wins

Helping depressing statistics of teen depression

• The road to 300 wins

Memorial

AP classes: stress management

• The road to 300 wins

Memorial

NBA Playoffs: an unpredictable prediction

• The road to 300 wins

Memorial

Isle Of Dogs

The road to 300 wins