Memorial football coach resigns for Special-Ed

Merideth continues his life's goal to inspire students to achieve their dreams on and off the field.

Natalia Mora, Memorial Staff Writer

Memorial’s beloved coach Justin Merideth recently resigned from his role as a football coach, putting nine years of coaching behind him as he ventures into a new mentoring career in partnership with Young Life Organization. Merideth plans to support the special education department full-time and mentor students with special needs with the skills he developed through coaching.

Beyond the special education department, Merideth hopes to devote more of his time towards his personal bonds and relationships outside of school, such as his family. Merideth describes this as a personal choice which couldn’t have been possible without routine family discussion and evaluation with his wife and two daughters.

“I just felt like it was time for me to step aside and take a couple years off to devote some serious time to my family,” Merideth said. “I spent a lot of time talking to my family about it, and we came to the conclusion that it was the best thing for us.”

The decision initially sparked distress for the athletic department’s players and coaches, but soon evolved into positivity and encouragement once Merideth explained his thought process. Although not met with full consensus, football’s wide majority now wishes him well for the next chapter of his life with heavy hearts.

“I just started playing football this year, and I wanted to finish it out with him, but I know he’s doing what’s best for him and his family,” junior football player Shaun Aberson said. “We’re proud of him, but we’re gonna miss him for sure.”

Although Merideth has only coached our Bulldogs for nine years, his coaching career immediately following college has lasted 17. Assistant coach Scott MacDonald, who met Merideth in 2006 and has been working with him for 12 years, was particularly shocked upon receiving the news but similarly supports his judgment.

“He has invested so much of his time and energy into a game he loves,” MacDonald said. “I know how hard he struggled to make such a tough decision, but he selflessly put his family needs before his own.”

Merideth expresses that he will miss the relationships he fostered as a coach. He especially emphasizes his love for watching his players grow and improve, a trait he hopes to carry over to individuals with disabilities.

“I hope to continue working with students with special needs by helping them improve every day, reach their goals, and to become the best they can be,” Merideth said. “Being able to do that solely, I’ll be able to focus on that.”

Merideth hopes to inspire others to help others improve and reach their goals, regardless of where they go in life. He wishes for students to recognize the effort he puts in and urges students to do the same.

“Thank you, and I appreciate you; I had so much fun, and go Dogs!” Merideth said.

Although Merideth won’t be on the field anymore, he will remain affiliated with Edmond Memorial High School. His story serves as an inspiring reminder for Bulldogs to love, honor and serve others in each aspect of life.

Contact Natalia Mora at [email protected]

Life Skills 101: more helpful than a regular school day?

• Memorial football coach resigns for Special-Ed

The problem with Pilot

Time’s Up: the next stage

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

Unjust reckoning of Dunkirk’s best picture nomination

“Life of the Party” is the perfect Mother’s Day blockbuster

Helping depressing statistics of teen depression

Teachers line up for support

Blog

Faythe’s declassified self esteem survival guide

Justin Timberlake, the “Man of the Woods”