Lost in Space: The Robinsons Return

Lost No More

Lost No More

Samantha Mayer, North Staff Writer

Lost in Space is lost no more. This 1960s science fiction television series is finally returning to the spotlight with a high tech revival on Netflix this year.

This retro TV show was created and produced by Irwin Allen. The show ran for three seasons, with 83 episodes airing between 1965 and 1968. This series traveled through the age of black and white with its first season, while the following two seasons were filmed in color.

Lost in Space recounts the adventures of the Robinson family’s voyages upon the Jupiter 2, struggling to survive the hostile universe, after being knocked off course from their prior mission by a stowaway.

The Jupiter 2 crew consists of father and Professor, John Robinson (Guy Williams), wife and biochemist, Maureen (June Lockhart), eldest daughter, Judy (Marta Kristen), middle child, Penny (Angela Cartwright) and youngest son and genius, Will (Bill Mumy). The Robinson family is accompanied by their pilot Don West (Mark Goddard) and stoaway Dr. Zachary Smith (Jonathan Harris).

The revival, however, is a recreation. From the trailers released early March, the remake has little to do with the former series aside from its bare bone storyline of a family being lost in space. The premise, however, bears some interesting updated twists. Taking place in the year 2046, the Robinson family and their spaceship the Jupiter 2, one of several Jupiter ships, encounters a rip in spacetime and crashes on an unknown planet. Stranded light years from their intended destination, the Robinsons and other marooned colonists combat a strange new alien environment as they attempt to escape the planet.

The 2018 Lost in Space cast consists of Toby Stephens to play John Robinson, Molly Parker as Maureen Robinson, Ignacio Serricchio as Don West, Taylor Russell as Judy, Mina Sundwall as Penny, Maxwell Jenkins as Will, and Parker Posey as Dr. Smith.  

Where this story travels whether staying grounded or losing itself light years away, Lost in Space is the dark horse of the new Netflix original content. With this new season of redefinition and retellings, Lost in Space has time to prove it was worth being found.

For any comments, questions or concerns contact [email protected]