Sweethearts help soccer stars

Seniors Karli Clemons, Becca Flaten, Drew Karnig and Ethan Lietch pose for a picture at the first soccer  scrimmage of the 2018 season.

Seniors Karli Clemons, Becca Flaten, Drew Karnig and Ethan Lietch pose for a picture at the first soccer scrimmage of the 2018 season.

Lauren Minnix, North Staff Writer

As the soccer season comes to a start, high school girls of any grade sign up to be the Varsity soccer players’ Soccer Sweethearts. The girls wanting to be a sweetheart will pick a varsity soccer player/ senior. They can choose a friend, boyfriend or stranger.

As a Soccer Sweetheart, the girls will get a T-shirt with the player’s name and jersey number on the back to wear to the home games or school. They also give the boys a present every home game. The presents normally consist of candy, snacks, drinks or a good luck card. Sophomore Katie Derouen is a soccer sweetheart this year.

“So far the games have been really cold, but its been something fun with my friends,” Derouen said.

This year, Senior Becca Flaten has volunteered to be in charge of the soccer sweethearts. Her job is to design the T-shirt, get girls to sign up, make sure everyone knows what they are doing and be to answer any questions people might have.

“I love going to the games and designing the super cute T-shirts,” Flaten said.

For the Husky soccer players, they love that it gets part of the student body to the games who wouldn’t normally come to cheer them on. It’s also a great way for students to become friends and meet someone new who they wouldn’t of been able to meet before. Senior Drew Karnig has been on the varsity soccer team for two years.

“This program helps give the guys a sense of purpose to play their very best,” Karnig said.

Soccer Sweethearts is just one of the many extracurricular activities at North that help to enhance the school spirit and show support for fellow classmates. To show support for the North Soccer Teams, come out to the Santa Fe football field on April 3 as the Huskies take on Westmoore at 8:00 pm.

For any questions or concerns please email [email protected]

• Feature

Meet the new teachers: Amanda Liu

• Feature

Meet the new teachers: Heather Cox

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

Football team supports Fields and Futures

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

Teachers line up for support

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

Remembering the first postal shooting in Edmond

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

The mysterious butcher: an unsolved mystery

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

R-Word Campaign returns to North

• Feature

Author Joelle Charbonneau visits North

• Sweethearts help soccer stars

Walkouts for gun reform sweep the nation

Sweethearts help soccer stars