Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Shawn Mendes releases his single,

Shawn Mendes releases his single, "Lost in Japan," on May 22nd to raise excitement for his currently untitled upcoming album.

Megan Tran, Santa Fe Managing Editor

If Shawn Mendes was previously thought of as simply a knock-off John Mayer or another pretty boy strapped to an acoustic guitar, then his latest hit will surely make listeners think twice.

Mendes released his single, “Lost in Japan” on May 22nd shortly after his single, “In My Blood,” released on the same week, both of which will appear on his next currently untitled album.

“Lost in Japan” breaks through with a unique style for Mendes of funk and a toe-tapping rhythm with an addictive chorus that will surely become stuck in your head.

Mendes wrote the song along with several other pop songwriters, Teddy Geiger, Nate Mercerau, Scott Harris and Louis Bell. The funky track highlights Mendes’ seductive falsetto while wistfully longing for a lover who can’t seem to escape his mind while he’s “a couple hundred miles from Japan tonight.” Opening with a few simple piano keys, the song transforms into a groovy, R&B-sprinkled jam that is easy on the ears and almost obnoxiously infectious.

In the song, Mendes offers to travel the globe to be closer to his person of interest. While there’s certainly nothing mind-blowingly original or particularly impactful about his lyric-writing, Mendes does a swell job of telling a story that rings true for many long distance lovers out there, adding to his relatability and boy-next-door appeal as an artist.

While the typical hit song on the radio consists of humdrum verses and predictable melodies, “Lost in Japan” emerges as a refreshing single that surprised its listeners with a twist on Mendes’ usual sound. The arrangement is far from mundane with surprising synths that accent the bass and several layers of shakers in the background that highlight the acoustic guitars. Altogether mixed in with Mendes’ smooth, honey-like vocals, what’s left is a dynamic tune that is easily digestible but still different enough from Mendes’ typical sound to stand out from the rest.

Overall, “Lost in Japan” is another hit from Mendes that adds to his list of tunes that the mass will continue to fawn over. Although Mendes is often lumped into the same category as competing artists with similar sweet and acoustic sounds such as Ed Sheeran and Charlie Puth, singles like, “Lost in Japan,” continue to showcase his artistry in a different light and if he continues to challenge new styles with his self-composed songs, he will remain a beloved singer by the public.

For more information, contact Megan Tran at [email protected]

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Unjust reckoning of Dunkirk’s best picture nomination

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Memorial

Isle Of Dogs

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

North

“Love, Simon” is stunningly revolutionary

Justin Timberlake, the “Man of the Woods”

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Reviews

“Just-in” time for a revolutionary album

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Memorial

MGMT: Little Dark Age revives duo

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Let’s hope this new album does not “Ruin Your Life”

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Lost in Space: The Robinsons Return

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

Somewhere in Northern Italy…

• Lost in Japan but found in my heart

North

Shape of Water becomes the center of attention at the Oscars 2018

Lost in Japan but found in my heart