Stopping mass shootings at the source

Young protestors in the

Photo provided

Young protestors in the "March of Our Lives" a culmination of the "Never Again" movement against school shootings.

Jayden Hannah, Santa Fe Staff Writer

School shootings are unfortunately becoming somewhat of a monthly occurrence at the least. Students of many ages and ethnicities have provided many ideas on how this should be stopped in the communities. The spearhead retaliation of these unprecedented events is the movement titled “Never Again”. Activists under this movement have made their message about better gun control and conducted the “March of Our Lives”. The “March of Our Lives” marked the culmination of the movement to sway legislators to tighten the restraint on guns in the U.S. The solution to ending school shootings is not merely a gun problem but rather a fault of society. We live in a society where people exploit weaknesses in those that don’t fit into the “Social Norm”, thus we ourselves create the monsters.

Ranging from gun control to metal detectors at school entrances, the issue of school massacres seems to have thousands of probable solutions. Protestors as a whole seem to drift into one of 2 categories, one being better gun control, and two being people who want armed teachers, but what if the underlying cause of these tragic occurrences was instead a lack of unity within the community.

Guns have always been around, however, school shootings have not. The second amendment which was published in the United States Constitution Instead of changing gun laws within our communities we should work towards a more unified, well rounded and appreciated community. School shootings are often made as statements to the world for being not included in society. We as peers have failed each other in terms of compassion and empathy.

According to Socialjusticesolutions.org, “If a person feels the whole world knows what has been said about them. Thoughts of a life being ruined forever, as teens often view things, can mean the only option is to lash out by attacking the bullies and those who laughed along, or in other cases, to commit suicide to end the pain.” An article from the New York times centered around the Never Ngain movement states that guns are the problem. and according to stopbullying.gov 28% percent of kids in grades 6-12 have admitted to being bullied.

When investigating the perpetrators officials often find what they advertise as “Warning signs” leading up to the shootings. Many of which can be tied directly or indirectly to bullying. Most schools fail to present social and emotional learning skills on a regular basis. This leaves the pupil pecking order to decide who is valued and who is not. If we were to better the school community as a whole and help everyone feel more included we could prevent kids who feel cornered.

In order for people now to fully address the problem of mass shootings, we must address it on both terms of gun control and bullying.  Making it harder to obtain a gun can in turn make it harder to commit mass shootings, however if we could stop the harassment within communities we essentially stop the thoughts of wanting to commit the act in the first place. I feel that a joint resolution of anti bullying and love along with gun control could effectively end schools becoming theatres for massacre statements.

For more information, contact Jayden Hannah at:  [email protected]

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

The problem with Pilot

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

Time’s Up: the next stage

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

Helping depressing statistics of teen depression

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

Memorial

AP classes: stress management

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

North

The issue of the basis on mental illness for gun violence

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

Tips to ace any AP exam

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

North

Losing sleep over Daylight Saving Time

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

North

Shape of Water becomes the center of attention at the Oscars 2018

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

North

Construction carries concerns

• Stopping mass shootings at the source

Opinions

Oklahoma Walking Into Winter

Stopping mass shootings at the source