“Just-in” time for a revolutionary album

Justin Timberlake's newest album was released on February 2, 2018. The album includes 16 songs with the title song

Justin Timberlake's newest album was released on February 2, 2018. The album includes 16 songs with the title song "Filthy" receiving mass radio air time. With its debut, it astoundingly hit the Billboard 200 chart at number 1.

Lauren Couch, Santa Fe Editor-in-Chief

Justin Timberlake has made yet another iconic comeback with his album “Man of the Woods.” A familiar aura remains in his songs of wavy bass and colorful vocal technique. However, this album includes an extended reach across various genres to create an album filled with oddly satisfying combinations. Timberlake executes every inch of his ‘country boy to city boy’ theme in a flawless degree only a veteran singer could accomplish.

The album makes a grand entrance with the first track “Filthy.” Debuting on the Billboard music charts at number 23, this track in particular has received much love among a wide range of listeners. Timberlake hits the track off with climatic vocals paired with electronic synthesizers and a slap bass for an attention-grabbing contrast.

A country styled electric guitar highlights the title song of the album but of course not without his signature use of Timbaland/Neptunes futuresex beats. This marks a transition to songs most held true to the theme he was hoping to achieve, including bits and pieces of his Memphis background.

“This album is really inspired by my son, my wife, my family but more so than any album I’ve ever written, where I’m from,” Timberlake said.

“Wave” and “Say Something” highlight further on the country influence with the addition of a light-styled acoustic guitar and even a feature of country singer Chris Stapleton. Timberlake’s typical R&B tuned vocals bring out a new side to what pushing genre boundaries means.

As listeners dive further into the album, it’s hard to ignore how versatile it is in all aspects. “The Hard Stuff,” for example, includes lyrics that left me feeling lighter, almost as if I am free from the obnoxious and tedious routines of city-goers. The bridge of the song ties the clap-like beat and gentle melody all together to create one of my favorites from the album, all in disparity to the beginning of the album.

We catch a glimpse into Timberlake’s mindset of raising his son with his final song “Young Man.” It begins with a pure, sweet encouragement from Timberlake to his son to say his first word “dad.” The song highlights on his personal advice, throwing in wise words for his son to live by. Adding in this wholesome anecdote brings back the raw feeling music is beginning to lack these days.

Timberlake presents not only an album but a story of his life and how each chapter of it has created who he is now. Timberlake does it through a multitude of means, not relying on one musical technique. This varying style allows for listeners to see him in a new, more personal way. There’s a reason why Timberlake never falls into the shadows of the music industry and it is because of the risks he takes in order to create a cookie-cutter defiant album.

For more information, contact Lauren Couch at: [email protected]

Lauren Couch, Santa Fe Copy Editor

Hi, I'm Lauren Couch, a junior at Santa Fe High school. This is my second year of writing on the Santa Fe Ruff Draft and my first year of being a copy...

• “Just-in” time for a revolutionary album

Reviews

Haunting of Hill House hits Netflix scene

Bastille rocks Oklahoma into “Oblivion”

“What If It’s Us” queer romantic comedy

Lany: a hometown show to remember

Memorial

Halloween II and the harrowing tale of corporate greed

Treats without tricks: recipes for Halloween

North

Iridescence marks a new age of Brockhampton

North

Netflix does it again

Reviews

A fantastic award ceremony: The VMAs

Arctic Monkeys doesn’t deliver