“Love, Simon” is stunningly revolutionary

A movie poster for the 2018 movie-

A movie poster for the 2018 movie- "Love, Simon"

Ainsley Martinez, North Staff Writer

The new age movie, “Love Simon” takes the spectrum of love we see in real life, and promotes a spot for it in Hollywood. Released in March, the movie has realistic elements of being gay- while simultaneously creating a uplifting message of acceptance that might seem like a fantasy to some. However, even though its progressive atmosphere may not be a reality for many, it still resonates with those in the LGBT community and can act as an escape for those without acceptance. “Love, Simon” is an essential movie that has been needed since the beginning of time.

The 2018 rom-com sheds a new light that others have not achieved, even if other films provide a realistic setting. In romantic realism, films like “500 Days of Summer” and “When Harry Met Sally” have a lifelike grasp to them. They take conventions and break them. However, what makes them beautiful is that while sticking to the genre they’ve surpassed the customs of cliches. “Love, Simon” brings the long established love of homosexuality to a fresh screen. It presents authentic feelings that people gay or not can relate in some degree. The movie includes a modern twist that teenagers finding love in the digital age can identity with. Not only that, but the film is truly charming as Nick Robinson’s authenticity on screen as Simon makes it the most endearing. Even as a person who has never had to experience afflictions within sexuality, the movie allows an understanding throughout all orientations. People watching will feel the pangs in Simon’s stomach and the joy from getting an email from his anonymous love interest, “Blue”.  Although there are many cliches, such as the characters and speeches about love- they work to elevate the theme and plot of the movie.

Overall, the movie is refreshing and is a leader for following films with gay couples. The film does focus on more of the aspect of living as a closeted gay teen more than anything. There is a limiting development between Simon and “Blue”, as their romance is through a screen and emails. However, the romance was still present and it was fun trying to figure out who “Blue” was. Watching it two times in theaters, it was definitely the most interactive audience I have ever been apart of. “Love, Simon” is a movie that will make people realize how many more love stories exist. 

Ainsley Martinez, North Staff Writer

Hey, everyone! This is my second year on Ruff Draft as a junior. I am ecstatic to be able to write again, and strive to better my skills.  I have had...

• “Love, Simon” is stunningly revolutionary

North

Bouncing their way to State

North

Assemblies are an antinomy

French fellows experience life at Edmond North

• North

How to: Make Holiday Cookies

Ben Rector at the Brady: A magical night

“Snow White” is no poisoned apple

Bringing A Light To Others

Winter fashion trends 2018

Acknowledging a great teacher

Free Pre-ACT gives all sophomores a chance