AP classes: stress management

Collage Board offers high school students an opportunity to enroll in advanced courses that may provide college credit.

Colt Beat, Memorial Staff Writer

Advanced Placement (AP) classes are a great way to challenge individuals who strive to earn college credit, stand out on their transcript and receive a collegiate level education. Influenced by this wonderful opportunity that the College Board provides, my freshman year, I had an elaborate plan to enroll in as many AP classes as possible.

It wasn’t until midway into sophomore year in AP World History, that I had an epiphany. I realized that taking all AP classes is not worth the overall stress, as I already felt overwhelmed with only one AP and three Pre-AP courses.

Instead, a useful way to manage the pressure of AP classes is to only enroll in advanced classes that correlate with your own interest.

For instance, I have always disliked history class, and so it was no surprise that I didn’t like AP World History. On the other hand, I have always liked science and math over any subject in school. So, my schedule next school year shows that I signed up for both on-level history and English (the subjects that aren’t necessarily my favorite subjects) and enrolled in Pre-AP Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus and AP Chemistry. Also knowing that I would like to go into the medical field, I found out that taking AP courses that involve history or English are not going to help me as much to succeed as taking advanced science or mathematics.

Not only does this correlate with my interests, but it also only leaves me with two advanced courses, which is a totally doable schedule while having a job that has very inflexible hours. At the same time, this failure to comprehend that taking an AP class that I know I wouldn’t succeed in still opened my eyes to what an AP class is like. I now know that AP courses take a lot of study time and effort and that stress can be managed through a course load that I now know I can handle. Looking back at the year, even though I was completely miserable throughout the class, I am glad I found out that AP classes should correlate with your interests the hard way, as life isn’t always easy.

Contact Colt Beat at [email protected]

Life Skills 101: more helpful than a regular school day?

• AP classes: stress management

The problem with Pilot

• AP classes: stress management

Time’s Up: the next stage

• AP classes: stress management

Senator Adam Pugh’s visit to Edmond Memorial

• AP classes: stress management

Unjust reckoning of Dunkirk’s best picture nomination

• AP classes: stress management

Memorial

Isle Of Dogs

• AP classes: stress management

Teachers line up for support

• AP classes: stress management

School board advocates for teacher walkout

• AP classes: stress management

Memorial

Teachers plan strike for pay

• AP classes: stress management

Tips to ace any AP exam

AP classes: stress management