Football team supports Fields and Futures

All smiles on the field

All smiles on the field

All smiles on the field

All smiles on the field

Cora Adams, Memorial Staff Writer

As football season begins, Edmond Memorial’s varsity football team received an invitation to participate in a camp hosted by Fields and Futures in July.

Liz and Tim McLaughlin created this organization to promote student athletics by rebuilding fields, making summer sport camps and creating positive reinforcements for young athletes. Through July 23-26, Memorial had the opportunity to impact Oklahoma City students through the efforts of this organization.

“We put on a football camp for the middle school teams at Jefferson and Roosevelt Middle Schools in Oklahoma City,” head coach Luke Orvis said. “We

taught them fundamental football skills and drills as well as teaching them a game we play called ‘Bulldog Ball.’”

The varsity team enjoyed their time coaching and motivating the middle school teams over the three days of camp.

“I believe the team gave those kids an inspiration for playing football just by being there,” said

junior quarterback Trace Evans. “We wanted to encourage them to go out for the team and continue to play. I believe we were able to do that.”

Junior Mason Williams coaches middle schooler during the three-day camp.

This camp gave the Memorials’ team a new perspective on the struggles some Oklahoma City programs face financially.

“As a team, we need to be more thankful for our facilities and equipment,” Evans said.

“It gave us a different perspective and could be the difference of pushing us to have a desire to work as hard as we can.”

Each student was truly inspired by each other, giving everyone an experience to always remember.

Contact Cora Adams at [email protected]